Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gen set R&R
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gen set R&R
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 34 foot Barth 1990 with 31,000 miles. side entry. 300 hp turbo Cat 3208 in rear allison trans, 7.5 KW diesel genset in front. Gillig chassis. My Genset started making noises coming from the generator end. at this point I think its a bearing that supports the armature.It appears that the front bumper slides out and the genset rolls out on rails for service.I have removed the pins on the each side of the bumper and the 2 bolts from each frame rail, but it does not want to move forward .. need some information on how it comes out.Am I missing something that needs to be unbolted or is just stuck?? Regards , Brian Ward

Posts: 15 | Location: Seminole Florida | Member Since: 02-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Brian, check to make sure the unit will slide freely or it has a screw driven by a motor that will push out/pull in the genset. That actuator would be behind the genset and the screw would be quite long.

if it does have a motor drive there will be a switch somewhere to actuate it.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by pins and bolts. There are “spikes” at the outside end of the front bumper that guide the bumper in and out when it is opened. No power just guide bushings. The genset has pins at the front of the rails to keep the set from rolling out. If you look down below the fan of the engine you might see a long acme threaded rod. If so it is powered. Mine has a double throw switch in the front driver electrical panel and it may be marked in or out. There is a circuit breaker to protect it. If you take a picture of the gender with the door open and the electrical panel we might be able to identify the switch. Is your genset a diesel?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply to my post. no power out just manual pull out. Now that I know that there is no other bolts or pins holding it oiled up the side rails attached a come a long to front bumper placed a floor jack and 4x4 wood block across the frame jack up just to take some weight off put a little pull on the come a long and it moved about a 1/2 inch!! it is going to roll out! stopped and inspected . It is a diesel gen set. The exhaust comes out the top of the manifold then goes into a flex pipe down and to the back and out to the left side behind the front tire. need to remove the 2 ,17 mm bolts from the manifold and remove the elbow and the muffler which will free the exhaust system from the roll out frame. It appears that that the fuel line, electric line are long enough to let the unit come out and disconnect from outside as it comes out.its been raining for past two days here, so I have not been able to work on it. BUT it appears that all is well. regards Brian Ward

Posts: 15 | Location: Seminole Florida | Member Since: 02-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post