Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Parts Availability, or lack thereof
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Parts Availability, or lack thereof
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
Hi,
I recently got an email from Rockauto.com, and it discusses "wholesaler closeouts" of parts for the P30.

It referenced their page showing parts for the 1987 P30.
https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/v...&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Parts supply is going to be an issue for us in the years ahead. Others in our forum have found problems with locating the right radiator, and have re-engineered solutions. I recently looked up the FG12X fuel sender unit, and find that only NAPA has it, and it seems to be 4X the cost of what I remember from a decade ago. The Rockauto page lists many parts generic to the P30, but not directly listed for the Motorhome version. Some are for the motorhome. And perhaps some of the motorhome parts are already off the market. Try looking for replacement control arms for the Motorhome version. That Rockauto page lists the Fram air cleaner. Hopefully as various wholesalers and manufacturers leave the business, it gives the remaining makers and sellers a reason to stay. Probably finding parts for the 454 will always be possible, but it probably is going to be smart to have your own stock of expendable parts like plugs and wires, and perhaps the critical parts like fuel pumps.

It is nice and convenient to have the proper brake hoses from a manufacturer. There will probably always be an option to get the hoses made at a truck shop, but plan on that costing more.

I bet the Barth owners running the Spartan and Gillig chassis have encountered these problems, that those of us with the P30 Chevrolet chassis are now finding.

More than a decade ago, "Colaws RV Salvage" had a large number of Barth rigs being parted. Getting compartment doors was an option then. I guess with the price of scrap metal, that is why those units are gone for good. I had tried to find out if I could find a source for the 1980s Cadillac bezels, buckets, and support assemblies for the headlights. The plastic in the support assembly wasn't engineered for 5 decades of life, and this is going to be an issue. Even finding the "right" headlight adjustment screws and headlight bucket springs is going to be a concern.

Keep your eyes open to this and your options open!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/19
posted Hide Post
Sigh. I am finally making progress on my’77. Gutted the interior and starting to replace insulation, replace some interior components and modernize it a bit.
Planning on more of mechanical and wear and tear things next year.
Since I have it nearly empty, any thoughts on smart replacements at this stage?
Thx!

Posts: 17 | Location: Rockford, Il | Member Since: 05-22-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GirlsinpantsTour18:
any thoughts on smart replacements at this stage? Thx!

How about these?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While your Barth is all gutted out, why not put in radiant heat flooring. It is free heat from your engine while driving.
As far as availability for interior equipment, most can be retrofitted. I recently went to get a refrigerator in Shipshewana. It fit right in the factory slot. It is mostly chassis parts that are going out of production. I suspect you will be upgrading to flat screen TVs and Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) for lighting.
Consider putting a hot water recirculation loop while the Barth is gutted. This will get you instant hot water at all faucets in the coach.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
any thoughts on smart replacements

inspect the 14" x 14" Jensen ceiling vents. New ones are still available. Check out the windows you have, look at the gaskets and rubber components. Look at your fridge, if you have only surface rust on the condenser, perhaps wire wheel the parts and prime them and paint them. If deep rust, time to replace the fridge. With full access to the interior of the walls, consider running +12V wiring around for the modern electronics that like to plug in to what were once called cigarette lighters. Kevin's idea about modern lighting is smart! Please post your pictures, so we can see.
Matt

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
Look at your fridge, if you have only surface rust on the condenser, perhaps wire wheel the parts and prime them and paint them. If deep rust, time to replace the fridge.

As long as this company is in business I won't ever buy a refrigerator for my Barth. Glenn runs an excellent shop. Get your refrigerator fixed or get a rebuilt refrigerator in about four hours with an appointment. You can also get an icemaker installed in your current refrigerator for endless Margaritas. Now that is a chilling thought.
Here is the refrigerator I picked up last month at National RV Refrigeration

It is nice to find parts for our old Barth Coaches.