Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hydraulic cooling fan for Spartan/Cummins side mount radiator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hydraulic cooling fan for Spartan/Cummins side mount radiator
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
On the way home from Goshen, the 8.3 Cummins ran hotter than usual, hotter than it should for the air temp and load...
I backed off and after a while the temp dropped about 20 degrees.

I recently replaced all coolant hoses and both thermostats. I have a side mounted radiator and it depends on a fan to bring air in the side. On the older models like mine, the fan is hydraulic and shares the hydraulic engine pump output with the power steering system. All mechanical, with regulator valves, etc. There is a filter inside the reservoir as well.

I suspect the fan is running too slowly. I will service the system and inspect the pressure proportioning valve that controls the flow to the fan.

I have found some comments and info about the system: (See the attachment for Spartan bulletin)

to be continued:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

PDF Docfan_motor_replace.pdf (290 Kb, 452 downloads) Spartan fan motor replace

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We replaced the fluid and the filters(2 stacked) a few years ago but it's nice to see the schematic of how the system is put together
Thanks for the info

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Update on fan project. I drained the fluid from the system. Over 2 gallons. One of the flare fittings had a slow leak so the area was filthy greasy and a PITA.

There is indeed a filter inside the reservoir. Marked Wix 557317. Could not find even at the Wix site... It seems they have gone to a five digit number now, Wix 57317. No one in town had them so I ordered a couple.

The hydraulic fan motor is also leaking at the shaft. Inspection reveals it is certainly not the motor in the previous diagram, as mine has 3 lines not 2 like the diagram.

I called Spartan, gave them my VIN# and asked for part #s for both the motor and the priority valve that controls the motor.

Short time later he returns with motor: Parker H62X3525 and another Parker # for the valve. I was pleased knowing that Parker is one of the largest suppliers of hydraulic components in the world.

However, when I went on the web, those Parker #s do not exist, even at the Parker sites. head bang

I was not able to find numbers on my pump but I may not be looking close enough.

So, I started looking around. Parker H62X3089 is listed for Spartan RV chassis fan applications. I found one on eBay. About 1/2 price of the others, surplus new motor for $200. Appears to be identical to the one on my coach.

I will attempt to remove the fan and replace the motor...

to be continued...

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Does your system have one filter? Ours had two--- stacked one on the other--- not sure if ours was stock like that or changed prior to our use.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Mine has a single filter inside the reservoir. I will show a picture next time I get to the project. I removed the fan hub set screw and the cotter pin/nut on the shaft but the fan hub is stuck to the shaft. No big surprise, it is 25 yrs old. Very little room to pull the hub, close to the radiator. It is soaking with oil for now. Check back later...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I still cannot get the fan off the shaft. Soaking in oil but no room for a normal puller, too close to the fan. I am leaning toward hiring this one out.

I got the new filter for the hydraulic system. I installed it in the reservoir. Then fill, purge air and go.

It took a bit over 2 gallons to refill the system.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
So if I hear what you are saying it is if I ever want replace fan put PB blaster on now and every time I think of it?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
https://www.wanderlodgeownersg...owthread.php?t=12053

Please read above link. BMC coaches (by Wanderlodge) are on a Spartan chassis with the 8.3 Cummins

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Nice find on pertinent info Marvin on this system as I believe mine is the same also

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
There is much discussion on forums but I am finding little in terms of valid part numbers. Early pumps like mine are 3 ports, later 2 ports, supposedly interchangeable but evidently not. It appears Spartan has been little help.

I wish people would publish part numbers and suppliers whether they did the work themselves or paid for it. Considering that Spartan chassis like these are fairly common, including some Barth Regencies, I am disappointed there is not more specific info available. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
After several attempts and lots of penetrating oil I was not able to remove the fan from the motor shaft. Fearing damage to the adjacent radiator, and feeling less ambition than I once did, I decided to farm the job out.

I took the coach to my friendly diesel shop for routine engine oil and filter change, fuel filters, suspension lube. Also needed front brakes and wheel seals, as well a new steering drag link and the alignment set. I had a new tailpipe installed.

For those interested in that work, here is a thread with more info and part #s: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...913907097#1913907097

I added the cooling system job to the list.

The bargain eBay motor turned out to be an exact match to the one in the coach. H62X3089 They got the old fan off and replaced the motor.

Meanwhile, it seems that the fan motor seal was leaking and some of the fluid ended up on the radiator. This caused a buildup of crud on the exterior of the radiator and charge air cooler. Replacing the motor and a thorough cleaning took care of that.

Considering the low price of the motor and the increasing scarcity, I ordered a second one for a spare.

Many $$ later and the coach is going great. Since I got the coach, I have replaced all tires, installed Centramatic balancers, replaced suspension air bags, drag link, shocks, brakes, and wheel seals. Batteries, engine hoses, synthetic trans fluid, headlights, tail lights. 2 air conditioners. With cooling system working well now, I am looking forward to many enjoyable road miles with lower costs for replacements, mostly just routine maintenance.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
The more similarities the more differences. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to get one of those motors and they raised the price. I assumed I had the same as Steve. Wrongggggggg. Mine has the later 2 hose pump. I will contact Spartan and see if they can give me the correct number for mine.

It was wet and windy but I slid under to take a look before heading to work. That is when I saw the difference. I had not looked to closely at that side. I will have to give a better look with light and cheaters. Maybe look with my aqua view camera. Looks like there was someone who maybe blew out the bottom fins out of the radiator. That could be why it seems to run warmer than I think it should. It looked like I have grass coming in from between the 2 radiators.

Further investigation is needed.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
See all that rain up in Minnesnowta has even affected your ability to evaluate your Barth!! My Mississippi river pool is back in flood, I only was able to bass fish twice this whole year!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I drove the coach 700 miles this week and I am pleased to report the work on chassis and the cooling system worked well. The coach is running cooler, as it did in the past.

Dana, I believe the 2 line pumps are cheaper and easier to find. Good luck. I guess the guy on eBay decided he had a hot item when I bought 2. Raised the price to $250. He has just a few left.

Based on the ages of our coaches, it appears Spartan went to the 2 line pumps somewhere between early 95 and mid 96... No wonder they are getting harder to find.

Hey Duane, just because Minnesnowta floods your rivers don't complain. They send all that cold cloudy weather east and drowns us too! Be happy you are a ways south. head bang

Cloudy and raining since late August! One partial day of sunshine in the last week, 43 degrees today, prob freeze tonight...

Florida is calling...

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I drove the coach 700 miles this week and I am pleased to report the work on chassis and the cooling system worked well. The coach is running cooler, as it did in the past.

Dana, I believe the 2 line pumps are cheaper and easier to find. Good luck. I guess the guy on eBay decided he had a hot item when I bought 2. Raised the price to $250. He has just a few left.

Based on the ages of our coaches, it appears Spartan went to the 2 line pumps somewhere between early 95 and mid 96... No wonder they are getting harder to find.

Hey Duane, just because Minnesnowta floods your rivers don't complain. They send all that cold cloudy weather east and drowns us too! Be happy you are a ways south. head bang

Cloudy and raining since late August! One partial day of sunshine in the last week, 43 degrees today, prob freeze tonight...

Florida is calling...

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

After searching and researching could find no other info on motor for mine . Was forced to order from Spartan. Anyone doing a replacement will benefit from what I found.

Casappa Motor PLH20 16DO-6 is what it is! Spartan number is 0700-FF1. Could have saved about 40% by ordering online elsewhere. I had found and narrowed the search by sight that it was a PLH20 but no way to know the variation. Even when I have the motor off I can’t read the numbers. New one has the real numbers and Spartan had them put a plaque on with their numbers.

This is the 2 port motor and has a keyed shaft with a bolt threaded into the tip of the shaft. Easy removal unlike Steve’s. Was even easier as I replaced the radiator and it was exposed.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth