Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hydraulic cooling fan for Spartan/Cummins side mount radiator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hydraulic cooling fan for Spartan/Cummins side mount radiator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Steve VW
posted
On the way home from Goshen, the 8.3 Cummins ran hotter than usual, hotter than it should for the air temp and load...
After a while the temp dropped over 20 degrees and stayed there.

I recently replaced all coolant hoses and both thermostats. I have a side mounted radiator and it depends on a fan to bring air in the side. On the older models like mine, the fan is hydraulic and shares the hydraulic engine pump output with the power steering system. All mechanical, with regulator valves, etc. There is a filter inside the reservoir as well.

I suspect the fan is running too slowly. I will service the system and inspect the pressure proportioning valve that controls the flow to the fan.

I have found some comments and info about the system:

to be continued:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 300 hp

Posts: 3974 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We replaced the fluid and the filters(2 stacked) a few years ago but it's nice to see the schematic of how the system is put together
Thanks for the info

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 250 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post