Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ignition switch - accessory power
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ignition switch - accessory power
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
When I place my ignition switch is in the ignition position everything has power (radio, leveling system, etc.). When in the accessory position I have no power to anything. With no schematic I am having trouble troubleshooting the problem. Any suggestions?

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Might be that you need a new switch, or it could be a wire or connection on the old one is loose.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the switch checks out okay. I removed it and it functions properly. The connections on the back are all good. One question I have is what should be on powered in accessory position and what not. I have wondered if the ignition and accessory wires could be switched. I am leary of switching them since they are so tight that I am afraid of ruining something if I remove the contact.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
On my coach the ignition switch is prescribed by the chassis manufacturer, Gillig, and their manual has electrical schematics that show the connections to the switches. Basically accessories are just that - radios, GPS, 12v power to your controls like steps, fans, interior lights, and the ignition power to the main solenoid is the only difference. In the run poisition everything is connected while in ACC only the ignition power is missing. Check with Spartan they should be able to help. As for the tight connections the fact they are secure does not mean they are not corroded and not making proper contact. Loosening and re-tightening is a very reasonable procedure when chasing such problems. I found wires broken inside the connector plastic connector when it looked fine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
Today I removed the contact block from the rear of the switch. I then connected a wire directly from the power to the accessory wire and nothing powered up. I then jumped between the power and ignition positions and everything powered up. Apparently I am going to have to do some rewiring to get accessory stuff on the accessory wire, fun, fun, fun!
I have contacted Spartan and am awaiting their reply.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Before you start re-wiring be aware the switch does not usually pass full current to the coach, it controls relays that do the actual switching. On mine the relays are in the front outside electrical panel below the driver window. You should be able to find the relays that apply power and possibly fix the apparently bad relay. Since it once worked, it is unlikely a wire is the problem, unless it is a ground.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
What has me confused is that in the ignition position everything works, including accessories. In the accessory position nothing works even though power is available for the accessories. That is why I think someone maybe has wired everything to the ignition side.

I do have a question though. The large round relay in the electronics bay serves what purpose? What power does it control? Could it be the accessories? I intend to study the layout of the bay and see if something is wired incorrectly as soon as I feel confident as to what is correct to begin with.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Lance, if it will make you feel better I also own a 93 Regency. I had to replace the ignition switch last year and when I pulled the dash there was NO wire attached to the accessory post on the ignition switch. I put the new switch in the same manner. Wires are attached to only three of the four terminals.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
On my 89 Regal, the ignition switch accessory position originally did nothing, and I have over time moved some of the ignition controlled accessories to be powered by the house batteries for my own convenience.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
What kicked this all off for me was reading the instructions for the HWH leveling system. It says to use the system in either the accessory or run position. Well, there is no power in the accessory position so I was checking and noticed there was nothing powered by it. I would imagine that for it to function I would need to install another relay for it to control all that I will most likely relocate.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Lance
That's about it with ours as well. Even the old stereo/cassette player is powered all the time. Don't think anything else is however, that I can remember; except the levelers. The engine is supposed to be off and the air dumped, then you power up the leveling system by turning the key to the acc. position.
Do your leveler system NOT get powered from the acc. key position?
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Lance Walton:
What kicked this all off for me was reading the instructions for the HWH leveling system. It says to use the system in either the accessory or run position.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
My leveling system is not powered by the accessory position, nothing is. That brings to mind the question; where is the wire going to that is attached to the accessory terminal on the switch?

I also have some questions about the electrical schematic. The document I attached shows the data I obtained from the electronics bay on my Barth.
Why do only some wires have numbers?
What are CB1-6 and where are they? They aren't in the bay.
What do the following mean:
HDLP (taillights and power)
Aux Start
ING Reg
Neutral Safe
Inst LAMO
Cool Light
Drk Warn
Cond Re.

I hope someone can help.

1993 Barth 38' Regency Wiring Pt2 - 12 KB ~

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO