Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steering problem?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steering problem?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted
Now that I've figured out HOW to post a new question I will... A couple days ago I drove my new coach on the freeway for the first time.. It was pretty difficult to keep it between the lines, more like a job then a pleasure.. I always thought it would be like an honor to drive such a beautiful machine but it was alot of work even though the ride was smooth and astounding. It feels as though something could be loose in the front end.. I suspect the steering box? Has anyone else had this problem?

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know the MCC chassis, but some ideas,
check airbag pressure in the front end.
Check your steering stabilizer(s) they will be shock looking things on the steering linkage.
Check shocks if equipped. You wont be able to do the bounce test, but unbolt one and see what the pressure is like up and down. If yit doesnt fight like hell to move in both directions, they are bad.
Check all your tie rods, idler arms, you can grab them by hand (or with rubber gloves) and try to move them up and down. If they have slop, they are bad.
All these can contribute, but the steering stabilizers can make the biggest impact.

1985 Barth Regal 28 footer
P30 Chevy chassis
454 big block

Posts: 17 | Location: Southeast Wisconsin | Member Since: 09-19-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Also check the condition and wear on the tires and consider getting a front alignmemt...............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Search the files about MCC. It is much like the nursery rhyme, when it is good it is very very good when it is bad it is very very bad. Probably time to make the call to the man near Chicago.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
The first time I drove our coach it was awful and very bad I hab 120lbs of air in the tires which was too much. Fore a start check the air pressure that is supposed be in your coach the tag above my head said 90 front and rear(tag is the data tag it is important),If you have to much air it will be squirmy on the road .cross winds add to the problem.too much air in the tire gives you a small amount of your tires touching the road.
when you get it fixed you will love it I know because I love mineand you will to just don't worry.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
In addition to the comments above the Gillig and other diesel pushers use torque tubes that keep the rear axles aligned and tracking with the front steering. These tubes are very much like a fore and aft stabilizer and they have large rubber bushings that wear out. When they wear they allow the rear end to "waddle" by first one wheel moving forward and then the other. This will feel like the steering is wandering and you are chasing the steering wheel. The solution is a heavy truck alignment that aligns all four wheels and replaces, as needed, both front and rear components. On my Regency this changed the entire driving experience and I feel like the Greyhound bus floating down the road with less noise, better mileage and one finger steering.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Ok, this probably doesn't apply but i thought i would throw it out here anyway. Smiler Have you driven anything this big before? Do you have a death grip on the wheel? I have an MCI bus. On the way home with it, (1100 mile trip) for the first hundred miles or so i was constantly correcting it. After i relaxed a little i found that i only had to correct it bout 10% of the time. It does not steer like a car....it is a bus! I talked to the PO and he said that for $2500-$3000 there was an upgrade that would tighten up the steering and get rid of most of the play. He also said that for that kind of money he could learn to live with it. Smiler I have found that over the last 6 years that if i just use a lighter touch on the wheel,(i still use both hands in case of a blowout) i don't even notice that it wanders a little bit and that it takes minimal effort to keep it straight. Depends a lot on the road surface and ruts too!!! Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
He has the MCC Chassis. Please, if you do not take any other advice from me.

Please, please, please... thoroughly check your steering and suspension in both the front and rear. There are so many parts on a 4 wheel independent setup that it is critical to the safe operation. If it wasn't properly maintained before, you might have a potential nightmare on your hands now.

If you break down, suspension wise, you WILL NEED A TOW and you will be down for a few days while the parts are shipped in.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I meant. The first time I saw and considered a Barth it was an MCC. It was in Ohio south of Columbus in 2002. Fortunately I found this site,asked Dave about it and got the number for the fellow that has the fix. I talked to him and decided it was beyond my interest level at the time. I was tdy in Circleville, OH and thought it might be a great alternative to motels for the 6 months I was there.
The MCC according to reports has the ride of a cloud the handling of a sports car and needs the front end modified with the upgrades. Story was that MCC was the only way Charles Curralt (sp)traveled.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Search the files about MCC. It is much like the nursery rhyme, when it is good it is very very good when it is bad it is very very bad. Probably time to make the call to the man near Chicago.

If you are referring to ‘the man’ at Motor Coach Restoration….he past away a while ago. Big loss to us MCC Barth owners. 

I redid my entire front suspension last year – check for some postings with pictures. I found that many of my ball joints were seized up and the tie rods ends were not in the best of shape. I full rebuild and an alignment and the coach is a joy to drive.

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
Big loss to us MCC Barth owners. 
What is this???

I can't make this out.

Sometimes when your computer doesn't recognize a character it displays something else, so the picture above is what I see. Does my image match and what is it???

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
OK here goes.... The coach is in the shop for an alignment but when the owner of the shop took it for a ride he said "it dosent feel right, it's like something is moving that shouldnt be".. The next day (yesterday) he mounted a camera under the chassis and watched the steering linkage move (he put chalk marks on the pitman arm and shaft) and it was in fact moving, so he retighned the pitman arm and that cured it until today... Now he is under the impression that the pitman arm and/or shaft are worn due to the loosened condition of the arm.. He is taking the pitman arm off today and I'll know more tomorrow... No wonder it was hard to drive...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I thought the son of the gentleman that passed away took over the business and was continuing to serve MCC owners.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I thought the son of the gentleman that passed away took over the business and was continuing to serve MCC owners.
Jim

Yes, the shop is still open - but without the guy who knew more about the MCC chassis than anybody else in the world!

1985 Regency 35'

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
Big loss to us MCC Barth owners. 
What is this???

I can't make this out.

Sometimes when your computer doesn't recognize a character it displays something else, so the picture above is what I see. Does my image match and what is it???

It was a frowny icon straight from the keyboard - here, I'll try it again!! Frowner

1985 Regency 35'