Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 Motor mounts.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 Motor mounts.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I went to the local shop yesterday to see if they were capable of installing new motor mounts. The guy said sure but seemed surprised that I wasn't doing it myself. I haven't even looked to see where they are or how I'd do it, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and how hard it is for a shade tree wrench.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Motor mounts are pretty easy to change. There is one cross bolt to remove, then raise the engine about 1 1/2 inches for clearance. Each mount has some small bolts into the frame.

The trick is raising the engine. If you jack under the pan it risks crushing the pan gasket. I made a bracket and bolted to the engine block, then lifted with a bottle jack. You can see the mounts just behind the bracket.

Easier to see here. Mounts were where the blocks are.

You can see the mounts on the frame here:

If you're not in too big a hurry, I will see if the bracket is still in the garage. I will bring it to Florida on the 10th.

PS Found the bracket. (Not that hard to make but you can have it, I have no need any more.)

Hope to see you soon either way.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. I'm not in any hurry. I got the new mounts yesterday but didn't figure I'd get them in before the GTG anyway. I'll give you a chance to get settled in and wait till you're bored and you can come over and help me. I'm half way through getting the new valve cover gaskets on. I have the new style covers with the tubular gaskets so it took 2 trips to O'Rielleys to get the right ones. At the suggestion of the old racer at the store, I used a tiny bead of black sealer in the groove and let them set for a bit before putting the covers on. Worked fine. Wait till you hear this thing run now!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I had the same idea, I was planning to visit you when we get there. Should have left already, big storm upon us now. At least the coach is warm and sunny!

It looks lke your distributor was the problem. I replaced mine on the 86, big difference. I forgot to mention to check the coil inside the distributor cap. I had one fail, caused missing esp at high speed.

Have fun at the GTG hpe to make it again next year. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post