Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LED taillight conversion
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED taillight conversion
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I have done 2 of the 4 tail lights and now waiting for 2 LED assemblies to complete the job.

I have the complete write up along with pictures on my website now. The file (.doc) is fairly big (about 3.7mb) my PDF converter broke so dial up users beware!

LED conversion

click on LED conversion.doc

Enjoy!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice work and a great writeup! Cool

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Super job, Ed, & the write-up is great.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Ed you're a genious, it looks beautiful. Would you give me permission to transfer the write up to pdf form and attach it here so others can easily. I would create a killer front page for it.

If so could you let me know what your last name is?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, you may do whatever you like with these posts, it has been my pleasure to be a member of this fine community and a part of what you have created. Let me know if you need anything directly from me as well so I may support where possible.

God Bless

Ed Raether

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Wow, very impressive. You do nice work. The .doc was easy to follow and your pictures told the story nicely.

I have been able to secure a source for the tail light lenses. The lenses have the same pattern and seals the light assy the same. The only difference is the outer skin height of the lens. One side sits higher then the other but seals the same at the base.

Looking at this picture you can see the original side profile on the right compared to the new style replacement.

If this will benefit anyone they are $5.00 each with $5.00 shipping. Buy enough to replace four lenses (two light assy) and it's a flat $20.00 with NO shipping charges.

These are the red lenses that KD made as a replacement for the original tail light lens. These lenses are no longer available or listed in their books and are considered obsolete.

I have not ordered these yet as it takes a min order of $200.00 to get. I don't need that type of order from this site as I'll just tack it onto another order for lights for my business.

No more pink lenses - If interested reply and I'll order them up in a week.

Not asking for money for myself - donation to Barthmobile and your thoughts on the replacement (good or bad) after they're installed on your coach.

With the LED conversion and new lenses this will look real nice!

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
These are very close to the lenses I bought from MO, except that note the Barth bezel on my Breakaway has different radii at the base's top and bottom, This means that upper and lower lenses aren't interchangeable. IIRC, the dealer told me they were surplus from a model of Winnie or Fleetwood.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine have a different radius on the top and bottom of the lens but the lenses are upside down on the bottom mounting, have to be careful installing them not to try to install them in the wrong orientation.

My upper and lower are interchangeable just have to rotate them 180 degrees from top to bottom. they are both KD 460 lens

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ed.

The pdf is attached below for download purposes

LED Tail Light Conversion - (1,876 KB) ~ Ed's LED Lighting Conversion

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
...except that note the Barth bezel on my Breakaway has different radii at the base's top and bottom, This means that upper and lower lenses aren't interchangeable.
You're correct - there is a lower and an upper lens. It is not the same lens. Each side needs two different lenses.

The way I figured it, no one would buy one anyway - If you're going to buy two for $10.00 and pay an additional $5.00 for shipping (total $15.00) then you would pay the twenty just to get all four new ones.

So, I'll cut to the chase. $20.00 for all four lenses with free shipping! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
...they are both KD 460 lens
Those lenses are not available anywhere. These lenses will fit but you do need two different part numbers per side.

Bill N.Y.

Edit to show mistake but not change any content!

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup I know that the KD 460 lens isn't made and no one seems to have them--BUT --I am confused! If the KD 460 lens was used on both upper and lower, just rotated, why would you need 2 different part numbers or lens for the replacement? Can't you just rotate the lens 180 degrees? If it fits on the top it would fit on the bottom, just rotate.

What am I missing?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
HI Bill, still confused, The KD 460 IS rotated as mounted in the base unit. The narrow end of the lens has two different radii, the larger radius end of the lens is at the upper and lower end of the assembly, Therefore if the same lens is used top and bottom and rotated, it would look like your first drawing where the thickness would increase and the decrease. Here is a picture of the lens and notice the difference in radii at the narrow ends. The picture shows the lens as it would be mounted in the bottom position.

I have the back up light in the middle and the sharper radius of both top and bottom lenses is at toward the backup light. I would think that the first drawing you used where the thickness increased from the top end toward the middle and then decreased to the bottom end would be what is desired, and that would have to be the same lens just rotated 180 degrees.

Scratching head---

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I see the error in my ways - I read the info a lot closer and found out which ones are needed to make it look like this.

Based upon the way it was written they described them as inboard and outboard lenses.

I thought that meant there were two different lenses per light fixture. This is not the case as Ed correctly pointed out!

This picture represent the fixture and lens much better. This style lenses is available as stated above.

Bill N.Y.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Sorry to all dial up users - the pictures below show the high side and low side style replacement lens - These are the actual picture sitting on the desk. The left lens is raised and has a tight radius on the high side. The lower side has a sweeping radius. The right lens is opposite and would not work well.

If you installed two of the lenses from the left it would look like this.

If you order these here then this is what it would look like as a side profile. A lot more desirable then other options explored below.

This picture below shows what two lenses would look like with two different part numbers inboard and outboard. Not cosmetically appealing, but it would work.

Likewise two of the wrong ones (right side of top color photo) would show the high side on the top and bottom edges (right lower) with the reverse lights raised up in the center. Not cosmetically appealing, but it would work.

These screw into the tail light housing that Ed has made the LED conversion for. If your lenses are pink then this is now your only option.

Bill N.Y.

posted Hide Post
I know this is a total longshot but does anyone still have a source on the KD460 tail light? I can't find them anywhere and would LOVE to replace my purple/pink taillights without replacing the whole assembly!

Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Location: Langley BC Canada | Member Since: 05-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post