Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LED taillight conversion
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED taillight conversion
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
This is the place to get relacements
http://www.slclighting.com/

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Thank you.

I have taken a look and seems they only have Amber. I believe legally I need to have red, although currently they are purple so hmmmm.

I have emailed, called and now await a response to see if they have anything for me. Fingers crossed!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Langley BC Canada | Member Since: 05-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Ed,
When you finally convert the front directional lights to LED's you may also have to change your flasher cans to the kind that will flash LED's.
I have converted two of my flasher cans to the later style.

Someone mentioned amber turn signals in the rear. As far as I know amber turn signals in the rear are allowed, however they must be dedicated only to the turn signals. The tail lights and brake lights must be red.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdelleman:
^ Thank you.

I have taken a look and seems they only have Amber. I believe legally I need to have red, although currently they are purple so hmmmm.

I have emailed, called and now await a response to see if they have anything for me. Fingers crossed!!

SuperBright has a number or choices to replace 1157.
http://www.superbrightleds.com..._Number,1157,21,195:
You should use RED LED behind your formerly RED OEM lense. The difference of vivid red is excellent.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdelleman:
^ Thank you.

There is a listing in:

http://www.davisbus.com/access...2006/02Lights_02.pdf

page 2.16

Light - Stop, Tail, Back-Up & Turn Signal, W/Red
Turn Signal Lens (KD 460)

Light - Stop, Tail, Back-Up & Turn Signal,
W/Amber Turn Signal Lens

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Thank you! I will be calling them tomorrow morning and hopefully they have 2 red lenses for me!

@Mogan David

Thanks, I will take a look at the LED bulbs. I was thinking of replacing the bulbs but will probably wait until one burns out.

Thanks everyone, I will let you know tomorrow how much luck I have getting these lenses.

Posts: 4 | Location: Langley BC Canada | Member Since: 05-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update:

Davis Bus does not stock these lenses anymore.

Waiting to hear back from BusPartsWarehouse.com after sending pictures of lens. They seem somewhat confident they can find me what I need but are looking into it.

SLC Lighting/ATC Lighting KD Lamp is "re-tooling" and when done will offer this part. Should have an ETA by end of next week.

Looks positive I will be able to swap out my purple lights soon!

Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
SLC has the rights to that lenses and is the only one that can produce them. That is why I was surprised to see they were out of them. Sounds like thye are going to whip up another batch of them. Ahhhhh fresh lenses right from the oven. Who could ask for better.....? ROTFLMAO

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SLC Lighting
posted Hide Post
SLC has been working on bringing these 460/461 lens back in stock. We can possibly bring these back. Unfortunately, the cost would be about $28 a lens. We wonder how many people would want to pay this price???????
Feedback please....@ orderdesk@slclighting.com

Posts: 11 | Location: Andover, OH | Member Since: 10-09-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green's 1993
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Wow, very impressive. You do nice work. The .doc was easy to follow and your pictures told the story nicely.

I have been able to secure a source for the tail light lenses. The lenses have the same pattern and seals the light assy the same. The only difference is the outer skin height of the lens. One side sits higher then the other but seals the same at the base.

Looking at this picture you can see the original side profile on the right compared to the new style replacement.

If this will benefit anyone they are $5.00 each with $5.00 shipping. Buy enough to replace four lenses (two light assy) and it's a flat $20.00 with NO shipping charges.

These are the red lenses that KD made as a replacement for the original tail light lens. These lenses are no longer available or listed in their books and are considered obsolete.

I have not ordered these yet as it takes a min order of $200.00 to get. I don't need that type of order from this site as I'll just tack it onto another order for lights for my business.

No more pink lenses - If interested reply and I'll order them up in a week.

Not asking for money for myself - donation to Barthmobile and your thoughts on the replacement (good or bad) after they're installed on your coach.

With the LED conversion and new lenses this will look real nice!

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 3 | Location: Murphys, Ca | Member Since: 05-31-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Dave I see you rotated up the beginning post. I wish that were an option but it is old info. You would think someone these days could make them on a 3D printer? Not sure what the costs would be?

As often as this comes up you would think it would be resolved by now?

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

posted Hide Post
We need a set of reds & reverse..

how do we go about it ?

Rico & Carmen

Posts: 43 | Location: Houston Texas  | Member Since: 12-03-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sadly I don't believe they are available any more. Some have replaced the entire lights to get around the problem.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fellow Barthmobilers with the obsolete lenses(KD 460 or others), it is possible to cast new lenses using silicone molds. Moreover, if my wife & I weren't so busy & behind with our current sign & graphics orders, I would very seriously consider buying the silicone, resins, & dyes(hues) to reproduce a small run of these lenses. The materials involved are actually very similar to what we work with every day. There are quite a few tutorials on utube which explain the process. Perhaps an enterprising fellow member has more time & some money to invest. I'm sure it would not be a nickel or dime affair.

Regards to all,

John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post