Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    House batteries and inteletec shut off.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

House batteries and inteletec shut off.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I just changed both house batteries and now the coach starts and runs but the ignition stays on in the off position. The 10 gage wire in the battery area that I think was connected to a ground is hot and when it is on a ground things work with the engine on, but if I turn off the engine then the gas sensor, and inteletec quits and the trans lights stay on. I am really confused now as all I did was changed the 2 batteries. why is the 10 gage wire hot and is it supposed to be to ground.

'93/94 33' Breakaway-5.9B 230 HP cummins-allison6spd MD3060

Posts: 39 | Location: Chehalis, WA. | Member Since: 01-31-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
First the house batteries have nothing to do with the engine. That's what the chassis batteries are for. On my Breakaway the chassis batteries are in the left rear compartment and the house batteries are in the right rear compartment.

If you have a hot 10 gauge wire unhook it. Something is wrong. In our Barth the engine batteries are group 31 and now the house battery is a 100 amp hour lithium iron. Could use another 50-100 amp hours.

Anyway I'm don't know your problem, but it sounds like the 10 gauge is acting like your ground wire which means something wrong with actual ground.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
What problem were you having that prompted the need for new batteries ? Was everything working properly ?

Our coach had the Allison 6speed and had a red 10 gauge always hot wire going to the Allison relay box . This wire had to be hot for the transmission to function . I would think it would be on the coach batteries and not the house batteries .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the hot 10 gage wire was hooked to ground and without it on ground, the transmission doesn't light up and the enteletec doesn't work and the gas sensor doesn't work. when I hook it to ground, the coach starts and functions correctly until I turn off the ignition and the trans lights stay on and the gas sensor quits. If IU restart the coach all seems fine and I have to reset the gas sensor. I replaced both house batteries as the old ones were 10 years old and no longer holding a charge like they should. I am now going to check the fuses on the inteletec shut off switch and see if that is the problem. I didn't know the 10 gage was hot until I disconnected it to replace the batteries and it arced so I tested it and sure enough it shows hot, but it has to go to ground for the trans to light and work and the shut off too.

Posts: 39 | Location: Chehalis, WA. | Member Since: 01-31-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes everything was working properly until I disconnected the and replace the house batteries. I think I messed up and I had the coach running and warming up as I replaced the batteries with the new ones. The first problem was when I reparked the coach and turned off the ignition.

posted Hide Post
Is there any way you can trace that 10 gauge wire to see where it goes ?

This is a real head scratcher . I suppose it's possible that changing the batteries while the coach was running could have caused some sort of short .

I would think first you need to confirm what function the 10 gauge wire serves . Then you could try disconnecting all batteries for a few minutes then reconnecting to see if it resets whatever is acting crazy .

That's all I've got at the moment . Electrical issues like this can be tricky .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok I am idiot and you are not, but one time not to long ago I replaced my house batteries and when I hooked them up I set up a series connection and had 24 volts running house stuff, this turned my 10 gauge white wire, carrying juice to the ground I do not remember exactly what it did but sounds similar to what you describe.! My Barth is gasoline so I am not sure about the fancy diesel stuff. That white wire went to the battery separator.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe mine goes to the shut off switch too. without it connected to ground the shift indicator, the cut off switch and the gas sensor do not work.

posted Hide Post
thanks to everyone who offered help. I found the problem and it was another ground wire I failed to connect. all is great now and working perfect.

posted Hide Post
Good deal Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW