Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    4 Down Tow Wiring
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

4 Down Tow Wiring
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi - I'm sure this has been covered in here somewhere but I can't find it. I'm setting up an '86 Suzuki Samurai as our towed for the '92 Breakaway. Looking at the wiring diagrams it looks like the Barth has a separate wire for each turn signal, running/tail light, stop light circuit, as does the Samurai. By this I should be able to wire direct into the Sami wiring harness without diodes or conversion box??? Yes??? I have a 7 pin plug on the Barth & I think I'll need a 5 pin connector on the Sami; stop, lft. turn, rt. turn, running, & ground. Does this sound about right??? hmm
Thanks - Ric

Posts: 77 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Member Since: 04-30-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Towed a Samurai. Just tapped into the wiring. Lturn, Rturn, Tail, Brake. Plus ground and 12vdc from the coach.

Did the same for the Tracker and Suzuki Grand Vitari. When I added brakes to the Vitari I removed the brake lite wire. Also the Tracker has a odometer shut (remcoe) off the operates from the coach 12vdc line.

On our Bus and the Newell I ran the turn signals off the front of the coaches as they had common turn/brake lights.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi - Guys
Thanks for the input.
Gary - Does your Breakaway have a single wire carrying brake/turn signals? I haven't crawled under mine to look at wiring, yet. I know the Yales towed a Jeep Liberty.
T.I.A. _ Ric

Posts: 77 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Member Since: 04-30-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Don't recall but think they are brake/turn. Planning on redoing them and if the above is the case will run wire from the front turn light to keep them seperate.

I have been towing the Vitari and have a brake system that pushes the brake pedal. This activate the brake light.

On other thing about the Suzuki's if that the steering wheel only locks when you remove the key. Therefore you can turn the key all the way off rather than acc position.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got the coach moved today so I could check the tail light wiring. Appears to be separate running, turn & brake wires, so it should wire up direct to the Sami. The current 7 pin plug does have a converter wire in place. I think I'll leave that & wire in a second 5 pin for the Sami. Best of both worlds. Click
Thanks Again for the input. - Ric