Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rubber Roof??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rubber Roof??
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am preparing to repaint my 1988 28' Regal and I want to freshen up the roof too. There is a pebbly non-slip surface on what appears to be a rubber roof (everything is OEM)but I'm not sure. The roof is grey and very elastic. Is it rubber, and if so I should use Kool Seal Rubber Roof Top Coat??? If not rubber then should I use Kool Seal Elastomeric Roof Coating??? Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The material you have on your coach now is Anvil 400 Mobile Home and RV roof coating. I emailed you the pdf of the tech sheet of this material.

I will send it to anyone who requests:

This is the company that makes it:

Anvil Paints & Coatings. Inc.
1255 Starkey Road
Largo, Florida 33771
(800) 822-6776 • (727) 535-1411 • Fax (727) 535-1413

I talked with the tech guy at Anvil, he said that the Anvil 400 is somewhat similar to the other Elastomeric Roof Coating with the exception of their higher grade UV additives and the fact that theirs is polyethylene fiber filled to add additional strengt especially over seals and edges. They also have a mildicide, which I assume they all have. A 28 foot motorhome would require 2 gallons to complete.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 21, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Having replaced the vents on my roof, I can attest that anvil is tough and durable. If I didn't already have a supply of Liquid Rubber, I might buy some.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
So odd that a spam post revives a thread that is 17 years old. Almost nostalgic lol.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Ditto.
We must all contribute, financially or otherwise, to preserving the integrity of Barthmobile. I am not computer savvy. I am financially sound.

To all; please offer suggestions as to what members, such as I, can do.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul And Jaime:
So odd that a spam post revives a thread that is 17 years old. Almost nostalgic lol.

Jamie and Paul, I thoght the same-a-thing. I did not post my thoughts untill I saw your post. ✔ Where is Shelton?✔ Who is RV Owner?
RV Owner, do you have any connection with java this product hmm ?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings,

As a relatively inexperienced member regarding posting(less than 10 posts) and a forum member for only 2 1/2 years, I really don't know all the protocols regarding posting. In addition, I don't know Sheldon nor RV Owner and I'm not 100% sure what spam is other than my dad occasionally ate it with his eggs in the 1960's. That said, I used "this product" on our 30' Breakaway roof after at least 30 hours of prep time(no exaggeration)! Fortunately, we have a large heated building so during the long winter months, I was able to scrub every square inch with a wire brush & remove all items that could be removed ie skylights, vents etc. The roof was scrubbed multiple times with an abrasive mop, and pressure washed 3000 psi several times, and allowed to dry thoroughly. Four gallons of "this product" was applied in two separate coats, two gallons per application, a week apart involving two people and 6 hrs.total time per coat. A lot of time, a lot of work, and at $80.00/gal., not cheap. But we are thrilled with the results! After one summer, it looks exactly like when we put it on; no dirt sticks to it, it's very glossy(Note: is slippery when wet),lowered the temp inside the coach considerably, and deadened the noise from the rain. Lastly, the product has tenacious adhesion, (I failed to clean a relatively new putty knife and found it a week later and had to throw it in the trash).

Thought our experience might help others.

Good Luck,

John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goodsign:
Greetings,

As a relatively inexperienced member regarding posting(less than 10 posts) and a forum member for only 2 1/2 years, I really don't know all the protocols regarding posting. In addition, I don't know Sheldon nor RV Owner and I'm not 100% sure what spam is other than my dad occasionally ate it with his eggs in the 1960's. That said, I used "this product" on our 30' Breakaway roof after at least 30 hours of prep time(no exaggeration)! Fortunately, we have a large heated building so during the long winter months, I was able to scrub every square inch with a wire brush & remove all items that could be removed ie skylights, vents etc. The roof was scrubbed multiple times with an abrasive mop, and pressure washed 3000 psi several times, and allowed to dry thoroughly. Four gallons of "this product" was applied in two separate coats, two gallons per application, a week apart involving two people and 6 hrs.total time per coat. A lot of time, a lot of work, and at $80.00/gal., not cheap. But we are thrilled with the results! After one summer, it looks exactly like when we put it on; no dirt sticks to it, it's very glossy(Note: is slippery when wet),lowered the temp inside the coach considerably, and deadened the noise from the rain. Lastly, the product has tenacious adhesion, (I failed to clean a relatively new putty knife and found it a week later and had to throw it in the trash).

Thought our experience might help others.

Good Luck,

John

John sorry I’m confused what “this product”is ?

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent feedback, Goodsign! Personal experience and testimony is exactly what we like to see! Thumbs Up

As for protocol, no problem. (The spam reference was to a previous posting which had an advertisement for the product mentioned, with only a web link and no personal comment. This site discourages advertisements but encourages personal testimonies and experiences.)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Dana,

Sorry for the confusion but I was referring to the product that Kevin had put in blue lettering which I believe is a link to the product that we used. About a week ago, another member had posted a question about some trim paint and I wrote a response. At that time I mentioned the product's name & the large retailer which is in almost every town in the USA, as well as some other technical info concerning other coatings which are suggested for professional use. For some reason, I received a warning about the post and that it was being reviewed. Subsequently I don't think it was ever posted, which was no big deal, but I just assumed that because I had mentioned both the name of the product & its retailer and that's not allowed? However, it could be for some other reason unknown to me. That's why I was a bit hesitant to name the product outright. That said, the product we used and liked in this case was RV Magic as linked in Kevin's post "this product".

Good luck,

John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Steve VW,

Thank you so much for the clarification and encouragement. My wife and I really enjoy our Breakaway and we also have had teaching experience(art). We have tried to put our expertise to good use in restoring our Barth. Too bad I'm not more computer savvy or I would post some photos of the transformation.

Thanks again,

John

posted Hide Post
Goodsign, Thank for sharing your experience. It is a "good sign" that you had good luck with the product. I am not sure where the post went from RV Owner. There are recent posts on roof coatings.
I am in the market for roof coating, but cannot purchase the Anvil 400 that I want, due to shortages in raw materials.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post