Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Breakaway rear radiator removal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Breakaway rear radiator removal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
Has anyone done this. I have started to dismantle mine and would like to know if the radiator and air-to-air need to come out together.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary:

Yes I replaced my radiator. I did not remove the air-to-air with the radiator but probably should have. It is a heavy job. On mine I also have a very large transmission cooler that is between the air-to-air radiator and the engine radiator. This required a lot of attention to sealing to prevent loss of air thru all this stuff.

I had to remove the rear bumper to get at the lower assembly mounting bolts. IIRCC I had to drop the trailer hitch down also to get the rad out.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks ED. Was afraid I might have to remove bumper. I have it loose but still attached to the trans cooler and a-a. Even though the trans cooler is still there it was not hooked up when I got the coach. May try to remove it or at least cut the center out and keep the frame for a spacer.

Was having over heating problems last fall and want to remove and clean.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the reason I had to remove the trailer hitch assembly is because the radiator had to be lowered to come out of the radiator door opening. The radiator was to high so I had to lower to get the top down far enough to clear the upper opening and then bring out. The side to side clearance was OK on the rear opening.

Again, it isn't easy.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radiator is out. Bumper and hitch are still on.

Had to remove the AC pump so the shroud had someplace to go.

Loosen the hose clamp on the air to air so it would move.

Remove all the bolt holding the shroud. With the shroud out of the way there are 4 bolts holding the air-air, the transmission oil cooler and the radiator together. Remove them

Lift the radiator off the lower posts and slid it to the right.

Tip the top out and walla out it comes.

Now for the bad news. I knew it must be plugged up, but overall at least 25% of my cooling was pugged up.

Since I have a hayden type oil cooler I cut the old one out of its frame. Needed the frame as a spacer to put it back together.

Now awaiting the new radiator from Spartan. About $1300 in the door.

The radiator is no longer made and after mine is shipped there will only be one left in Spartan inventory.

If anyone wants my old one for rebuilding let me know before I trash it. Probably be at least $150 to ship.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

posted Hide Post
I found mine not to be that bad, The reason I took mine out was when I was washing it and NO, I did NOT use a pressure washer, one of the fins at the upper left corner bent a bit and it tore a very tiny hole in one of the tubes of the core. Corrosion inside was bad but not badly plugged.

I had mine re-cored at a local heavy equipment radiator shop with a high efficiency core. About the same $$$$ as yours.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
This post was a life saver. I have been trying to get some help with the radiator removal on my 1994 Coachman/Spartan chassis MH. I read the input posted above, it helped me get enough room by removing the AC pump to get the radiator and trans cooler apart. I was able to do this myself and it really saved me allot of money.

I do have a question, does anyone have any idea of the part number for the trans cooler? I am looking at mine and it does not have any paint on it and I am thinking this would be the best time to replace it if I can find one.

Thanks to everyone who helps with these q&a motor home issues.

Posts: 1 | Location: Springport Mi | Member Since: 09-19-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Give Spartan a call with your chassis number.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Satellite Bob:
I do have a question, does anyone have any idea of the part number for the trans cooler? I am looking at mine and it does not have any paint on it and I am thinking this would be the best time to replace it if I can find one.

Just match up your cubic inches and your connections. Buy a similar size for larger cooler. My transmission cooler is mounted in front of the air inter cooler for the Caterpillar turbo cooler. Transmission cooler is just an air over oil heat exchanger.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Just match up your cubic inches and your connections. Buy a similar size for larger cooler. My transmission cooler is mounted in front of the air inter cooler for the Caterpillar turbo cooler. Transmission cooler is just an air over oil heat exchanger.

Maybe not quite so simple! Example:
My radiator package is part of the entire cooling assembly, toward the rear, turbo intercooler, trans cooler, engine radiator. Changing the trans cooler on mine would require complete change of the mounting system, piping and duct work. My trans cooler is not just hung in front, it is in the middle and part of the entire assembly.

I don't have a part number. Mine is fairly large and is very heavy. Lack of paint isn't a big deal as long as there is no corrosion on the fins or tubing.

My trans is a 6 speed Allison MD3060.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Simple for me, mine is not integrated. I have individual heat exchangers for air, coolant and transmission. Sounds to me like Bob has individual components also. I gathered this since Bob asked for a part number to a transmission cooler. Sometimes folks like original, sometimes it does not matter.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine were all part of a package, but individual items stacked into one. Air-trans-coolant. But my trans was shot so I cut it all out except for the frame which became a spacer.

My external hayden is much smaller the original. When we first aquired the coach the trans (allison 542) would overheat on the hills. Changing to the allison 2000 with lockup tc cured that problem and the Hayden works fine mounted behind the raditor (that's to the rear of the coach).

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey, Gary--how many miles do you have on your Breakaway?
J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unknown. The speedometer had been replaced and previous miles unknown. Best guess is somewhere between 120 and 150K

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance