Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rubber Hot Water Hoses
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rubber Hot Water Hoses
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
Has anyone gone through the wonderful experience of replacing the rubber heater hoses on a 38 ft 1993 (or similar) Barth? Since the hoses are 25 years old I think it may be a good idea to do so. What says you all?

For anyone who has done this I would like to know how hard it was to re-route the new hoses. Also any recommendations for type and/or brand of hose to get would be greatly appreciated.

Along with this information I will need to know the proper way to drain the Cummins 6CTA-8.3 engine and all the hoses, heaters, etc. More important is how to fill them all without trapping air. Once again any and all tips and recommendations will be appreciated.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I am interested also. You are wise to replace them. My hoses blew out last fall and I bypassed the loop. They are routed along the frame somewhere out of sight. I will be changing them soon. I too am interested in the best routing, etc.

My 8.3 has a drain in the radiator. There will be some residual coolant that does not all drain but you can refill with water, run a few minutes and drain again to flush it out. I had no trouble filling through the reservoir tank, run a few minutes, then top it off.

I am hoping to use something more permanent than hose, possibly PVC or copper pipe in areas that are not accessible.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
BTDT! will be hard to find anything better than high performance rubber hose. I stay away from anything rigid or semi rigid because of vibration and possible chaffing.I think one would be OK if care would be taken to isolate any area that the tube would come in contact with the frame or any other metal.

Pex tubing might be considered as it is now in high usage in hydronic heating and water distribution thru out the house both hot and cold. Heat loss would be minimal compared to CU. One could slip smirf tubing (that is what I call it)over Pex for added protection.

I did not have much problem when I replaced my hoses and used the green stripe hoses. Much thicker and less likely to wear thru.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have central heat with a plenum that runs between the frame rails. From the engine bulkhead forward the plenum is straight and rectangular. It runs about 25 feet. The front of the plenum is just behind the front axle.

If I can intercept that plenum from front and rear I have a huge "pipe chase" to run the heater lines. I was hoping to use 1/2 rigid copper with the slit foam insulation used for hot water lines around it. It would lay on the bottom of the plenum, fully supported. The OD of the copper pipe is just right for 5/8 ID hose to fit right on.

(PEX is probably a good idea, made for boiling temps and city water pressure....)

Front and back connection will be the green stripe hose. I will also be adding a loop for a rear cabin heater.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I bought the hose sometime in the past and it is still in the carton it come in. Was cleaning the garage last week and found it. Since I am 77 would like to get another dozen years out of the Barth, so may have to get the hose out of its package. Almost any heater hose will get me there.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I was hoping to use 1/2 rigid copper with the slit foam insulation used for hot water lines around it.
Expansion should not matter, if the pipe is in foam insulation and connected on each end with rubber hose.Steve VW, the copper pipe will expand about .28125" in 25 feet at a 50 degree rise. Since the pipe may change temperature more than 100 degrees you should keep the expansion in mind though.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post