Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    still broken
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

still broken
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted
I replaced the water pump today bearings were flat and it was leaking a small amount of coolant.put the belt on still wanted to come off.(it aint always what you think)the vibration damper is loose .I pushed back into position with a large screwdriver taking it off Monday. I can see the rubber is in pieces .almost had to buy another belt.Has anybody replaced one yet?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have replaced many Vibration Dampers on an 8.3L. They unbolt and come off pretty easy. You might need a device that looks like a steering wheel puller to get it off. A lady slipper or prybar works fine if you don't pry against a cover.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will just make a wheel puller have the equipment .I still love my trade.Love to work on milling and lathes .my shop is 24 x30 and it is too small. a 40ft container and a 16 ft enclosed trailer helps.
thanks for your help Bill.
Had race cars way back when I had a major source of autos my uncle made me fix anything I broke on a car or a truck.hated the bus lift(Marmon Herrington )to work on did not like to fix it.Rusty said they have a liquid damper is it any better than the original that lasted 19 years ?
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Fluidampr doesn't show one for the 8.3L - only the 5.9 and 6.7L.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks rusty I guess I will go with the original. This one lasted 100,000 miles.only I can't break the 4 bolts that hold on the cross brace. A torch is in order .I will pressure wash the back first. Toooo much oil and dirt.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Have you tried an impact wrench? Alot of times the vibrations of an impact will do alot more then just straight torque...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
One word of caution: A vibration damper is engine specific and should be matched to the s/n of your engine. These are balanced to match. Your engine may be internally or externally balanced and it makes a huge difference. I would get the new one from Cummins to be safe. You can use a 1" breaker bar with an impact socket and a long pipe to loosen the bolts. Extreme heat will be transmitted to the front seal and either melt or warp it leading to leaks. If you have a lot of oil type crud in the damper it has proabably been heated in the past. Never re-use the bolts. Good luck.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a brace in the back of the motor home that has to be removed to get at front of the engine .It has nothing to do with the motor if you do not remove you can not get at the damper.lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
Ordered the balancer from cummins not bad $427.00 hope it is not a rip off. Still cant get the back brace off.Judy will be power washing the Barth while I use a torch to heat the nuts.I will pay for it when it comes in. If you look at the panel that runs from the bumper to the brace it is also in the wayI will have to bend it or take off the bumper.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
That's why I always replace any bolts with stainless steel. While these are ridiculously expensive at your hardware store or auto parts house they can be purchased at fastener supply houses directly. If you have any friends with a business and appropriate sales tax resale or exemption forms they are very reasonable. For instance, If I go to ACE a 1/2-13 hex nut in stainless steel is $1.40. I buy them at the supplier for $7.23 per 50! That's 1/10th retail.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was G.M.at a die shop can and will get the proper bolts. just removed the cross brace . It was easy with the rite tools now just waiting for the balancer to get in. needed a 1/2 breaker with a 3 foot length of pipe the crossmember is off now, just waiting. Thanks for your support
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
Stainless is not always the answer proper tensile strength is.Never use bolts that have been used with a torque wrench to a heavy torque.The auto industry always wanted the once used bolts thrown away they never are the same once you use them . It is just a safety thing but it works can't be sued.That can be expensive .
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B