Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dont know how to operate levelers
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dont know how to operate levelers
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi I am new to this forum. I just bought a 1988 Barth Regency 34'and I have no manuel on how to operate anything.So what I am needing to learn is how to operate the levelers?
I have four levers next to the drivers seat I beleive are for the levelarsbut when i move them nothing happens.I am sure i'm doing something wrong. please help

Posts: 2 | Location: Middle Georgia | Member Since: 07-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Hey.

I am assuming HWH levelers, correct?

First your engine should be running.

Flip the switch to "on". You should get a series of green lights on each control, meaning stowed.

I do both rears, then both fronts.

jockey the proportions until it feels level, and then check your work with a level on the front and rear bumpers. You can check incline by just placing the level on the counter.

Basically, if it feels comfortable for you standing up, it should be OK for your fridge.

If you don't have a level? Put an inch of water in a clear cup and place it on the counter. Look good?

When retracting them, I do one at a time, so they can have enough power to fully retract. Get a green light? good, it is fully up.

A walk around inspection is still mandatory in my book.

If they are HWH levellers, you can download a manual on the intermet.

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PS, a couple of 12x12 one inch or 3/4 plywood squares will be a good insurance against a leveler sinking into the ground.

Probably someone makes a 'factory solution' for this too.

Check here for manuals..

http://www.hwhcorp.com/after-market.html

a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say Windsor, I'm curious as to why the engine must remain running? The instructions I read state key in accessory or ON position only..

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml10041.pdf

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thomfeit
posted Hide Post
I have a '90 Regency 38' with model 100 of these HWH leveljacks. I do not run the engine, but have the key in the "ON" or "Accessory" position. Had to replace the mercury sensors on two the jacks last year. They are slow in action, but certainly do work and lift this heavy coach to level. I do follow the above suggestion of getting some 3/4" plywood as bases for the jacks. Use 4 of those plastic bases from CampingWorld - bent them with ease.
Thom
'90 Regency 38' Widebody

Thom & Barb Feit
SOB

Posts: 44 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Member Since: 06-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When the engine is running, the system voltage is higher, perhaps even 3 volts higher than it would be without, and things just work better. Plus the battery is not being discharged. Even the tailgate window on my toad works better with the engine running.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Re: Lights, etc. on HWH jacks - I have 2 rows of lights, 4 red, & 4 green. According to the instructions, when you turn on the switch, the red lights come on to show the jacks are stowed. When you push the lever to extend them, the green lights show they're extended, and go out when the unit comes up to level. When you release the jacks, the red light comes on again to show each jack is stowed. Nonetheless, they advise a visual check to be sure all jacks are stowed.

There is a sensor that tells the mechanism when the unit is level, & turns the green lights off. Thus, when the jacks are turned on, if no lights are showing, the jacks should be extended, & the unit level.

Mine works well on relatively level ground, but not so well if the ground is irregular. If the unit doesn't feel level enough, I'll use a short carpenter's level on the floor inside to check side-to-side, & front-to-back, & adjust the jacks accordingly.

I also level the rear first, then the front.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Note To Hilarlee:

Yep, you are correct, the key only needs to be "On" according to the manual.

In my experience, however, the levelers seem to function better when the engine is running since the slight increase in voltage is enough to 'help' my 20 year old equiptment along.

I had one moment (once was enough) where I could not get them to move at all without the engine running. Don't know if this is peculiar to my RV or not, but I just do it now with the engine turning to avoid 'issues'.

a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
My 1985 Barth Regency the levelers will only work with the engine running. Also there is a saftey toggle switch next to the handles that has to be on for it to work. When in the off position it prevents use of the handles if bumped by accident.
Two Barths alike don't mean they are wired alike!
I have a manuel, if you need one I could copy it for you.
Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 1988 Regency 36' and we can't find our hydraulic reservoir to check the fluid level. We had read about it everywhere but nowhere is there an actual location. We think it might be a black cylinder up by the front but it's location has us wondering how to then fill it. Any ideas of where to look or even what it looks like would be great.

Posts: 5 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 06-29-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Should be in the front on the passengers side thru the front hatch/door. It should look about the size of a coffee can circumference but longer with the pump on the end. There should be a dip stick on the top side which is also the fill location.

I saw Steve’s post in a different location after I posted here. Steve has his generator on the side. Mine slides out the front. That is why locations vary.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 32' Regency is a 1993. Reservoir is located in the front on the driver's side near the front grill. It has a screw on cap with a very short dip stick attached to cap. Fill with ATF fluid not hydraulic oil. I do have an owners manual also.

Posts: 29 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 03-21-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post