Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel filter issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel filter issues
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
On our way back from Florida, we lost power. We limped into a garage and they changed both fuel filters. They said there was a lot of rust I. The lower one had a lot of rust chips in it. Should I have the tank cleaned?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
On our way back from Florida, we lost power. We limped into a garage and they changed both fuel filters. They said there was a Lot of rust chips in the lower filter. Should I have the tank cleaned?

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A very good question... hmm

Obviously, fuel contamination can be a problem in any diesel. OTOH, large particles are easily trapped by even crude filters. Those that are big enough to see are usually not the problem. Generally, the primary filter is designed to trap water and large particles. If it does and it is not plugged, the fuel passes to the secondary filter designed to trap micron sized particles. This is often the one which loads up and becomes restrictive.

Microscopic particles are the worst problem. If they are small enough they may pass through the filters and end up in injector nozzles. Dissolved contaminants, or dispersed water can pass through and cause gumming or corrosion of injector pumps and nozzles. This is why algae and gelling can be problems as well.

So, is a rusty tank worth cleaning?

How long since the filters were changed? Were they rusty last time... how long ago? Rust indicates moisture in the tank. I would be more concerned about the water than the rust.

Hopefully you did not get water in the fuel when you bought it. Perhaps try some fuel conditioner/additive. Condensation can occur when the tank is not kept full.

Before spending time and money on cleaning, I would try some fresh fuel, keep tanks full, and watch the filters for subsequent rust accumulation. Keep an extra set of filters handy and see what happens.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mr Steve .
Run some fuel tank cleaner additives through it and keep a few extra filters handy . If it continues to be a problem , you can remove the tank and clean it . The tank can be treated with an internal coating if it is rusty inside . One of our fire trucks had to have the tank removed , cleaned and coated . We haven't had any filter issues since .
Originally we were going to buy a new fuel tank , but we couldn't find one to fit . I would have preferred a new one .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Vapor pressure for gasoline is high enough that even low tanks have little problem with condensation but diesel is low volatility so condensation is a major problem. It hurt to do it but when I farmed the diesel tank was always kept full during the colder and wetter months, those months that used almost no fuel.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Richard what size is your tank?

ALso do you have any room for a larger tank. An opportunity to enlarge? Most tanks I believe are now poly (no rust)

I read some old posts from Morris and see he had algae at some time. Algae comes from moisture. I always keep as full as possible.

You know your fuel is fresh with all that you rust proofed the Toad with!

Ed had issues last year. You had issues. What have we all learned? I know changing fuel filters moved up MY LIST.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post