Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Differential Fluid Change
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Differential Fluid Change
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
There is no drain plug for the differential in our 85 Regal. I do have a devise that is designed to suck out fluid from things. Is this the best/easiest way to change the gear lubricant in the differential? I really don't want to take things apart if I don't have to.
Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Lotsa differentials require the rear cap to be removed to change the lubricant. It ain't a bad idea. It allows complete drainage, allows you to see how much metal has been ground off your gears, & gives you the opportunity to check the condition of the mechanical parts. But it isn't neat.

You can suck the fluid out through the filler plug, but you can't get it all. It's a reasonable solution if you're having no problems, & the old gear lube isn't contaminated. A lot of shiny little sparkles in the old lube suggests the desirability of removing the cap for a further check.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
There is usually a lot of gunk in the bottom that needs to be removed. This can only be done with the cover off.

All Barths are not the same. How many bolts does yours have? 10 or 14?

Here is some info for 10-bolt people:

Mine has a 10-bolt Dana 60 or 70 diff. The cover gaskets are the same for either, according to the aftermarket cover sellers. My spare gasket has 34687 on it. Google showed some rather tenuous conversions to 2952471 and 929877, both of which convert to NAPA pn FPG RDS60951.

Clickie

However, when I do a search for my year P30, the only ten-bolt cover gasket that shows up is FPG RDS6014 1984 Chevrolet Truck P30 1 Ton - Step Van Engines : 7.4 L 454 CID V8 w/ 10 Bolt Holes;w/ Spicer/Dana 70HD Axle

https://www.napaonline.com/Sea...101984+50014+2014076

The pictures look pretty much the same.

Just checked at NAPA, and they are both Fel Pro, both the same dimensions, but one is blue, the other black. The blue one is six-something and the black (6014) is ten-something. Autozone and Checker Kragen Shucks both list both numbers, but you might have to order. The RDS60951 is $3.99 at both.

The cover has ten bolts with 9/16” heads

If you have a ten-bolter, and think it will help, I can send you a tracing of my spare gasket to get you started.

Some folks use silicone rubber, but it works better with cast covers than with stamped. If you elect to use silicone rubber, use Permatex and try to make the cover as flat as you can. I glue a sheet of coarse Wetordry to a glass plate and rub it around until the marks show full contact. There might be high spots at the bolt holes, so a little hammer work can help.

Be sure you refill perfectly level left to right, as this also is your wheel bearing lube. It is a good idea to recheck after a little driving.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I replaced my diffy cap with one from Mag-Hytec (did the transmission, too. The have a drain, and a magnetic pickup (which I couldn't use, because my diffy is inverted).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill & Rusty ours is a 10 bolt. Your template would be a help Bill.
Thanks

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Your template would be a help Bill.
Thanks

OK. I'll get it out Monday.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Your template would be a help Bill.
Thanks

OK. I'll get it out Monday.

PM me with your US Snail addy

PS note updates on pns in earlier post.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Thanks. Rec'd template. It's a match.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B