Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Lee, lens guards
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lee, lens guards
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I could not find the lens guards on you link, but found them through google search at the same site...go figure. But, it looks like the same one I found locally, but the mounting holes are 1/8" off. Did you run into this same problem? I noticed the new one has a countersunk mounting hole and the orginal barth is not countersunk. Also, I paid $7.00 for the new one and it does say china on the back. I'm confused. I have drilled out one lens guard and seems that 3/16" pop rivets were used. That size rivet just goes into the new guard fine on one side, but is off by 1/8" of lining up with the hole on the other side.

Posts: 3 | Member Since: 06-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Hi Willy,

Hmmmm, you might be right on the spacing of the holes - it's been awhile. But AWDIRECT ones worked for me. (Maybe 'cause I was using 1/8" rivets and there was enough slop?...maybe)

At any rate, I mounted them with a small rubber washer between the lens guard & the Barth surface....Helps for a good seal, plus it holds the guard just a tad off the surface to help eliminate the drip mark stains that show-up after a little awhile.

I'd think that a little Kentucky windage with a drill bit would get you lined up enough for a good rivet set....even a rivet washer on the face if ya need to......

...My China dig was more for sarcastic editorial than fact....Even the good ones could be from there I guess...I just know that $7 guards last much longer than $2-$3 ones.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
...My China dig was more for sarcastic editorial than fact....Even the good ones could be from there I guess...I just know that $7 guards last much longer than $2-$3 ones.....

Lee, I live in a Corrosion Test Facility. Chinese chrome doesn't stand up very well at all. When I move away from the ocean, I'm gonna git me a passle of them chrome thangs. And a nice shiny spotlight and a coupla air horns.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Boat stuff, like the hose you suggest for the water pump, is often the way to go.

So when you said a set of horns would be nice I thought that a good quality boat horn might be something to look into. I pulled out the Lewis marine book and took a look at the Kahlenberg three trumpet train horn. While the government says my income is well above the norm, the Lewis marine catalog suggests that I am lower on the food chain.

A nice three trumpet set of Kahlenberg "Chimetone" chrome bronze and stainless air horns can be had for $2,771.00 from Lewis marine; this was last year's price it may have gone up a bit as things do. This does not include the compressor, switch or wiring.

Yep inland is looking good.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I think a Nathan train chime would be a little cheaper. Smiler http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nathan-Train-horn-P3-in-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Still over budget for me. I'll probably get the Fiamm 30 inchers or Grover.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Ever see the air kit you need for those Nathan horns.... I would have room for the horns but not the air.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post