Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    State Requirements for Vehicles over 26,001 lbs
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

State Requirements for Vehicles over 26,001 lbs
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted
I was reading where someone said there was no requirements for a different class of drivers license for driving an rv over 26,001 lbs. or towing a trailer over 10,001 lbs. Here is a list of states that require a noncommerical class a to tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs. or a noncommerical class b license for a vehicle or rv weighing over 26,000 lbs.

I live in NC and you have to have a noncommerical class b license to an RV over 26,000 lbs. I had to take a written exam, and you have to make 80% to pass that and take a drivers test in the vehicle. Ray and Anne. sky

State Noncommerical License Requirements

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Here in Oklahoma, as long as the vehicle has a "motorhome" tag, anyone can drive it...even a newly licensed 16 year old....no special driving requirements or testing.

As far as registration goes, if it has living quarters (running water, bed, and tanks) then it can be tagged as motorhome. That even means these motorhomes built on 18 wheeler chassis. No restrictions on length, weight etc...Oklahoma DOT cannot stop you or compel you to stop at weigh stations etc....motorhomes are exempt from the truck scales.

My Dad started me out driving the motorhome when I was 15 1/2 and had my driving permit....

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
From your list Sky, it appears there are many states that have some requirement for at least large RVs. My favorite has to be MI: "R" endorsement required if pulling two trailers. I still can't comprehend pulling two trailers!! I suppose it's no less limiting than a toad, but you sure don't want to go far off the turnpike.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
From your list Sky, it appears there are many states that have some requirement for at least large RVs. My favorite has to be MI: "R" endorsement required if pulling two trailers. I still can't comprehend pulling two trailers!! I suppose it's no less limiting than a toad, but you sure don't want to go far off the turnpike.

A friend told me his father in law usually pulled his camper and a boat. Generally his off road stops were a MacDonald's for quick food and Wal-Mart for shopping since they almost always had flat to the street entrances and he wouldn't have to do any backing.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I used to tow a boat behind a fiver. Had to plan ahead. I carried a tongue dolly that could move the boat trailer by turning a hand crank. The crank turned the axle by chain drive. Still have it. It comes in handy at times.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Can't say I see it all the time but it isn't that unusual to see a TB or 5th with a boat behind. Or vice versa, depending on the setup. I always kind of wonder if they just go for it and say "Show me where it says I can't".

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Here is a url to state towing laws regarding double towing and etc.. Ray and Anne sky

State Towing Regulations

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I sure would hate to try to set up a brake controller on a setup like that. Confused

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
The PO of my bus towed a Jeep Cherokee with a 16 ft. Boston Whaler behind it. Did that for years, up to Alaska, Nova Scotia, Mexico, etc. Finally got stopped in Kansas and was told that he couldn't do that. Told the cop he had been doing it for years and the cop said he shouldn't have. He let him off with a warning, so the PO decided he wouldn't do that anymore. He said the total length was about 73 ft. or so. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If the state allows truck double bottoms (two trailers) you can do it behind a 5th wheel as it has a pin setup like a 18 wheeler. You can not tow two ball hitches.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post