Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tranny Tube & Snap Connector
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tranny Tube & Snap Connector
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/12
Picture of Carl Feren
posted
(1) There is a snap connector with a worn red wire that I want to replace and was wondering if there was a way to remove the red wire from the male connector that is in the rubber connection block without destroying the block ... or do I need to replace the entire connection assembly? Also, does anyone know the function of this assembly?

(2) There is a little round disk attached to the side of the tranny with a rubber tube coming from it. This tube has been rubbing on the frame and a hole has nearly worn through. Does anyone know what this tube does and how to replace it or whether it would be better to just wrap it with rescue tape and leave it place?

Thank you.
Carl Feren

30'- 1992 Breakaway on Spartan Chassis
5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B
7KW Kohler Propane Genset

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Memory is the second thing to go, but if it still serve me, I believe the round thingy is the throttle position indicater. Determines how far you have pushed the throttle down to change the shift points.

With a needle or jewelers screw driver you can remove the wires from the connectors.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, Gary. Sooo ... is it a vacuum tube? Any idea if the tube that comes from it is easily replaced? I hate to pull on it and destroy it in the process.

How do I use the needle or jewelers screwdriver to remove the pin from the connector block?

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Posts: 159 | Location: All of North America | Member Since: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Vacuum tubes are those funny old things that glow inside a good amp...

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
There is a small tube tool that is used to free the pin in the connector. It is inserted in the male end and it compresses a small spring finger so the wire and pin can be pushed out the end where the wire is. This tool is available at electronics supply houses. I would but the tool and a new pin for the connector and then replace both at the same time. Do not use anything other than the insertion tool or you will destroy the connector and the new pin will not seat properly.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Old fingers hit something - The proper sentence is "I would remove the old pin and wire and replace them both at the same time"

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Agree with Tom K, use the tool, You can get it at any auto supply house that sells replacement connectors similar to the one you have.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Not vacuum. I think there is a cable inside that goes to the throttle somewhere.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The function of the snap connector is to allow easy assembly and testing of a wiring harness. I would just use the remaining three wires in the snap connector and section out the one bad wire with a butt connector with heat shrink. If a mechanic needs to get in there, he will.

Butt-Connectors w/ Heat Shrink Tubing.

Wire Range - Color
22-18 gauge - Red
16-14 gauge - Blue
12-10 gauge - Yellow

You'll need to heat up the plastic coating to wrap & seal it around the wire. This will keep the moisture out. Too many times people use this type of wire connector and never melt the wrap. A simple lighter will do the trick... only melt enough to wrap it or it will split.

As far as the tube goes... I'm on vacation right now and would have to get back home to look it up, but I believe it to be the TPS cable. If it is only worn through the thin plastic coating I would just wrap it up with good quality tape and leave it be... If it's worn through to the cable, change it out.

Do you see something that looks like a metal spiral wrap underneath where it's worn? Can you post a better image of the worn out section?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butt-Connectors w/ Heat Shrink Tubing

I never knew that the extra tubing on butt connectors was supposed to be for heat shrinking to seal the connection but it certainly makes sense. Thanks, Bill. The problem is that there are 2 butt connectors on the wire and they are causing the problem (sloppy installation). My intention is to replace the damaged length of wire and sloppy butt connectors with a new piece of wire that connects directly to the pin in the connection block and a SINGLE heat shrink butt connector correctly installed.

quote:
As far as the tube goes... I believe it to be the TPS cable. If it is only worn through the thin plastic coating I would just wrap it up with good quality tape and leave it be... If it's worn through to the cable, change it out.

Do you see something that looks like a metal spiral wrap underneath where it's worn? Can you post a better image of the worn out section?

The location of the hole in the tube is nearly impossible to see as I only found it by feel as I was securing some loose wires, with wire ties, however, your explanation of there being a spiral wrapped wire inside the plastic tube makes sense as the tube is fairly stiff. I am going to wrap it with silicone "rescue tape" and put a lenght of "smurf" wrap over that.

I appreciate EVERYONE'S help with this. ... off to the store for the connector tool! Carl

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Just so we are perfectly clear - This style is NOT heat shrinkable.

This style IS heat shrinkable.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carl Feren
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow-up re the difference in connector types. I have the non heat-shrink type.
Carl

5.9L Cummins 190
Banks Powerpack
Allison 4 spd - 542B
9206-3805-30BS-6B

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Feren:
Thanks for the follow-up re the difference in connector types.

Ideally, you would use the "Non Heat Shrink" INSIDE your coach on any INTERIOR wiring connectors as these are not subjected to water road spray.

You would use the "Heat Shrink" connectors on any wiring that would be subjected to moisture.

Here's a piece I did several years ago on this same subject. mechanic

Failed wiring and how to protect against it. FYI...

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
The heat shrinkable connectors are available at Fastenal for about $10.00 for a package of 25 for us that don't want to order $300.00 worth.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post