Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    help please
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

help please
 Login now/Join our community

posted
need to know about where body meets the frame should i be concerned about corrosin there or replacing any isulating material where the steel and aluminum meet shes a 84 28' i belive regal still havent picked her up yet and what should i pay it runs and drives brakes are very weak they let the roof go and theres alot of rot in bathroom also i havent been able to find ot much about redoing that kind of roof either any help would be greatly appreciated

Posts: 10 | Location: florida | Member Since: 03-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Maybe $3000

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

There are couple of extensive how-to-posts about roof coating. You didn't specify where the rot is, but the ceiling would only need headliner replacement, Floors are plywood, and may need only spot repair.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok good she wants 3500 and suposedly the engine was rebuilt in 97 but i wont know that for sure till its mine and the appliances were supossed to have been replaced in 97 also it has a 6500 onan if it works that will be a big help. looks like humidity damage from over time thoughout real damage is in bathroom the skylight leaked my real concern is where the body attaches to the frame should i assume ill need to do some work there or is there a good chance its ok ? thank you : D this is the only pic i have of her so far.

Posts: 10 | Location: florida | Member Since: 03-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Chris, in the latter part of my career I spent a great deal of time examining food and feed production processes. The by-word I had for colleagues then is the same I offer you, "It's amazing what you find if you look."
Don't be dismayed by what you find, it took 30 years to get that way. At the price you will probably need to replace tires, anything else that is rubber but then you can be off and running or limping. You will have a stand up shower, a dry bedroom with heat or AC, running water, check for leaks, galley, head and the ability to change neighbors at will without dealing with a county, city or state. Add to this the ability to consume moderately large quantities of fossil fuel while supporting the various state and federal entities that provide you with pavement to consume same.
You may have this experience for over a year for less than a $6000 investment, try that on a cruise ship or Budget rental plus Super 8.
The real question is what is your balance point between turnkey and sweat equity?
At this price point, if you are interested and willing to repair the obvious and live with the not obvious, you should be able to use, abuse and salvage.
Rusty said it best and I would misquote so in paraphrase: All coaches require maintenance, with a Barth you have a chance of getting ahead.
You figured most of this out before asking, you just wanted reassurance. Go get it if it would make you happy.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank all of you for your advice it has reassured me. and it was love at first sight so i guess there was never really a question Smilerbut i will inspect the undercariage where it attaches the body to frame''i saw some pictures searching earlier posts'' im hoping it all appears intact because i dont think thats something i would be able to get done.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Check your PM Thumbs Up

Corrosion of the steel parts of the undercarriage is one of the big differences we see between one Barth and another. Some coaches have so much steel corrosion they are beyond repair. Close inspection is the only way to know. Crawl under and look around at the frame where you can see it. If you see rust everywhere, look closer. Hopefully there is only surface rust. Check the steel frames around the wheel wells and the fender skirts (not structural but future projects for sure)

In my case there is very little corrosion on the frame itself but the square steel tubes used to frame the lower skirts are all rusted to some degree. I am in the process of adding aluminum framing where the steel has failed.

The dissimilar metals used invite problems indeed. Your concerns are well founded. In the skirt area, it appears that Barth just used a fabric type tape between the metals. At the interface between frame and body I think they used rubber pads. I have not seen frame rust under there on my coach.

There has been very little discussion here in the forums on this topic. Maybe most of the coaches that are totally rusted away have been scrapped by now.

Interior water damage can usually be fixed, the aluminum framing is usually OK. Just another project!

Good luck with your project, keep us posted!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Chris, I hope you get an opportunity soon to photograph and post the DATA TAG on the coach. It is likely to be on the wall sort of behind the pilot seat -- maybe hidden by the gathered WS curtain.
Getting a genset is a big plus. Getting a 'rebuilt' engine is kinda like getting a pit bull... Do you really know what you're getting?
Even so, the Chevy P-thirty-something chassis and the run-of-the-mill GM engine are easily serviced and not very mysterious.
There are darned few 29 year old motorhomes any body should consider buying. You found one. Practically none of the Barth body is lumber, unlike many where much of the body is lumber. So, if you are handy you can put a lot of new life into that old Regal. On the other hand, I was neither skilled enough nor confident enough to tackle many of the challenges associated with ownership. If you will have to pay others to take care of everything that will need doing, it will be a money pit. If you only have to pay for parts, you can spread the work out. But, there will be no end to it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
where in florida did you see this?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure i can restore the entire interior fairly cheap under 2k new roof and all the cherry wood is all perfect another quality material! then it will just need whatever devices dont work.I was thinking about using a portable ac for now if nec they are very cheap and i want to eventually put in a tankless water heater any good places like rv salvage yards anyone recomend? also the pluming and tanks should i be concerned or at least replace the stoage tanks dont want to drink poison Big Grin

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Chris: When you get your "new coach" where are you dropping the anchor??...................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Yes, the cabinetry is high grade in a Barth.
Should not need a new roof -- coating and sealing maybe. does not have a rubber roof like the stick-n-staple boxes on wheels. It is alum.
The 'devices' are mostly generic and readily available -- at least as contemporary versions of them.
Tankless water heater is good (albeit expensive) idea. That is what new motorhomes, such as Monaco Diplomat, offer.
If unit has always been in FL, freeze damage is unlikely. So, tanks should be okay after sterilizing with diluted chlorine bleach.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
where in florida did you see this?

where in FL are you? There are a lot of Barth folks down here. Thumbs Up

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great to hear about the tanks ty.i figure with the tankless since it uses ''half'' the propane itll pay for itself i hope so anyway Smiler i have to really look under there tomorrow ive been doing alot of research and hard looking before i jump into this.really all comes down to how much rubber is left under there im learnin.o and im near st.auggie come on over and bring your wrenchesSmiler

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
As for 'rubber' (tires) they hardly ever get worn out on a motorhome. The trouble is, they get old, which entails potentially dangerous deterioration of sidewalls by ultraviolet sunlight. Where the unit has been parked, perhaps it was largely protected from direct sunlight -- good for tires, finish and anything near windows.
There is a date code on the sidewalls.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/...com||S|b|6698650813&
I downsized from a Barth Breakaway to a class B Pleasure-Way. Last year I observed that the sidewalls were noticeably checked. So I checked =
11 year old tires. That was a few days for a planned trip to PA. I quickly found some excellent second hand 4 year old tires on Craigs.