Barthmobile Portal
engine just shuts down

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8763972897

04-25-2023, 06:52 AM
baby barth
engine just shuts down
Good morning everyone, I HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM I hope someone can help me with. My cummins 5.9 in my Breakaway 30 ft with alison 4 sp will just cut out while driving , sometimes it happens when I put on the left turn signal , often the dash gauges will go wonky at this time too. 90% of the time the engine will start right back up again but lately it takes a spell. Now it won,t start at all , then I JIGGLED THE IGNITION KEY & I got power. Will be replacing ignition sw this morning. Any advice will be welcome , this engine cutting nout has been happening for yrs but now way worse. Thanks Paul Finley Fenelon Falls / Nova Scotia.
04-25-2023, 08:17 AM
MWrench
Hi Paul: There could be two causes for the intermittent operation you described. Replacing the key switch is a good start as "jiggling" the key switch caused a return of electrical power.

The key switch may not be the root cause of power loss. It is more likely that the main power relay is defective. Located in the front lower left hand cabinet. That relay provides power to all systems needing power when the key is turned on. This has been the topic here many times.

This main power relay must be a continuous power relay and looks like starter relays on many vehicles. If this relay is old or the wrong type, it will cause the symptoms you describe.

Ill search and get back to you.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
04-25-2023, 08:18 AM
Steve VW
Sounds like you are onto the problem. Several of us have replaced ignition switches for similar reasons. The engine has a shut off valve that is controlled by a solenoid to hold the fuel valve open while running. If the ignition switch kicks out the valve will shut off the engine.

Here is a link to my recent swap. There are others if you search.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/9303910897

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
04-25-2023, 08:29 AM
MWrench
Here is a link to one that had similar issues.

solenoid failure

Just make sure it is a continuous duty rated relay, ill send the part number of the one I use and carry a spare.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
04-25-2023, 08:41 AM
Harold,Cat&Sam
Good morning
It sounds like you are loosing voltage to your fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump . That could be from a faulty ignition switch , which would explain the gauges acting crazy . Could be a wire connector loosing contact on the switch. As mentioned , a bad main power continuous duty solenoid is common .
In the past , has it died when slowing down for a stop ? Sometimes that is caused by the overflow valve in the injector pump . It is where the return line comes out of the injector pump . I had one that was bad and sometimes when slowing down for a stop the engine would shut off .
Also , check the grounds , a bad ground can cause lots of headaches.

http://www.torkteknology.com/p...OW-VALVE-OFV020.html

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW
04-25-2023, 09:37 AM
MWrench
Sorry my spare relay was out of the box and the number was partially rubbed off.

Maybe this is the number, it is all I can read off the device:

55-12V
4EB

Ill check more later.

Overflow valve would not cause a loss of instrument power or other electrical issues indicated.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
04-27-2023, 11:06 AM
BarthBluesmobile
I am assuming that the ignition key is in the steering column. In some ways your issue reminds me of GM cars of the 1980s. There is an ignition system interlock on those, and unless the shifter on the steering column was in park or perhaps also neutral, then the ignition circuit would be gated. In that case, the issue was the wear of the bushings in the steering column.

An expedient remedy was to turn the key and jiggle the steering column in the vicinity of the shifter.

Your mention of the left turn signal situation makes me think you are putting a clockwise torque on the steering column, a very slight torque, and that is changing the geometries of the interlocks. Maybe, just maybe....

good luck!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust
04-28-2023, 07:30 AM
Danny Z
Hi Paul, can't help you with your problem but wanted you to know Sammi is doing great at 6 years old. Are you coming down this winter?

79 Barth Classic
06-14-2023, 08:09 AM
baby barth
Thanks for all your help everyone , we finally sent constant known power to the fuel solenoid, to get mobile ,now I HAVE A TOGGLE SWITCH IN THE ENGINE BAY TO TURN ENGINE OFF &ON BUT ATLEST IT WORKS. dANNY GOOD TO HEAR sAMMI DOING FINE,maybe best $250 u ever spent but I AM GLAD SHE HAS SUCH A GOOD HOME, NOT SURE ABOUT THIS WINTER YET , Paul Finley , fenelon falls ONT. / Parrsboro Nova Scotia
06-14-2023, 08:14 AM
Harold,Cat&Sam
Sounds like you've got it narrowed down to a power problem , so now you can sort it out .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW