Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Pressure Regulator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Pressure Regulator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted
On our 88 SE tag there is an in fuel line device located on the frame just behind the duals on the passenger side of the coach. It is visible by looking at the frame from the wheel and has a hole in the frame which has been provided for its installation.

Last weekend we smelled gas and traced it to this device which was seeping.

GM does not list this part available anymore. There is a
GM part number - 15598336 available as a Workhorse cross over part for approximately $200.00.

With the help of a kind parts man I found Holley part #12-803 for $30.00 or the Holly repair kit #12-807 for $7.00

The Holly part is identical in apperance to the original and is easily installed.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 30, 2005).]

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of this "devise"?

"THE TOY" 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
The guy at the GM store tells me its to regulate the fuel pressure created by an "in tank" electric fuel pump which assists the fuel pump on the engine in delivering all that gas all that way forward from the rear tank. I have not previously been aware of an electric fuel pump in the gas tank and still wonder why it can not be heard ticking away when the ignition is turned on.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill & Sonja:

I have not previously been aware of an electric fuel pump in the gas tank and still wonder why it can not be heard ticking away when the ignition is turned on.

Some of them are pretty quiet. Stick a screwdriver blade against the bottom of the tank and have someone turn the ignition on and off while the end of the handle is pressed against your ear. You should hear a whirring sound.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dr. bill h, As a kid fifty million years ago my dad used to do the screw driver trick to his ear. One time after WWII when new cars were hard to get he installed a ton of crate motors in Buicks. Well they came with the dip stick along with other items and after he had installed the engine in one and added the oil he heard a TICK. By mistake he had inserted the old dip stick in the engine. With the engine running and with a screw driver to his ear he moved such around the block and finally touched the dip stick, and WOW there it was. The old dip stick was bent and was touching the crank.

At one time he had 119 new crate engines lined up in the garage ready to install. The shop had a wood floor and oh how I loved to run with a creeper and belly flop like I was on a sled. Loved the noise it made on the wood floor. The office people on the floor below DIDN'T though, but I was the owners KID... hehehe I must have been a real jerk. Don't say it ron.....

Fun is Good

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I too smell fuel sometimes and after lifting the doghouse cover, know it's not coming from the engine. On my 73 fuel injected Volvo, there is a fuel pressure regulator and there are specs that it must be set to. Does anyone know what the correct fuel pressure should be for a 454 carburated engine?

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The Quadrajet runs well with only 2 to 3 psi. A mechanical pump will often put out as much as 6 or 7 psi at idle. With electric pumps, I set my regulators at 4 lbs.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post