Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dash board shifter
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash board shifter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Kelshe
posted
I have a 89 Regency, cat 3208 and Allison MT643. Dash board shifter is Stone Bennett. Is this factory installed or replaced at some time?

We are having intermittent no click, no start and wonder if the transmission neutral safety switch might be tied to this no start problem.

Thanks for any information. Kelly

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
It is probably OEM

http://www.stonebennett.com/Sb...lection%20Guide.html

According to "poorgreg" in an irv2 post:
"The problem with the stone-bennet is that they do not like sitting for weeks/months at a time. So I decided to go mechanical after talking with the allison transmission shop."

This might have been a similar situation as yours:
http://www.busnut.com/bbs/mess...0878.html?1122959772

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Your Regency may have been shut off in gear. It will not start unless you manually put it in neutral. Remember there is no Park like on a car. It could also be the starter switch on the dash, or the starter relay.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
I have a 1990 Regency with same trans and shifter. Mine was doing same as yours. I had to replace the small starter solenoid underneath the coach about midway down. Works everytime now.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
In the 89 Regency could that small starter solenoid be the same as the solenoid that is in our compartment under driver side window. We are not aware of one in the middle of the coach. We have one one in the rear, the one under the driver window compartment. Are there Three? In addition, what was the part number of the solenoid you replaced?

Thanks, Kelly

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

We are aware of not turning the coach off in gear. It is in N.

Kelly

Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
I'very read past springs indicating that the starter solenoid replacement number is ech st85. On line at Napa that solenoid is blue. Mine is "chrome" and I suspect it is the ech st80 per Napa on line site.

Question is do most owners now use the st85 when replacement is necessary?

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Kelly, the solenoid under the diver's window is a continuous running solenoid for instrumentation up front. At least it is on my Spartan chassis. Not sure what chassis you have but the starter solenoid on mine is where I described it midway down the coach underneath. It is easy to take off. Just take it to Napa and have them change it out. Hopefully that is your problem.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Fred,

Thanks. I will crawl under and trace from the starter forward.
We have a 32 ft Gillig chassis.
Seems the solenoid in the compartment under the driver window controls more than dash electrics. Two 3/8" diameter cables are attached and run to my wire/screw down patch sections.

Kelly

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
My secondary starter solenoid is on the panel in the engine compartment. Its a Cole Hersee Ford style. That Solenoid energizes the solenoid on the starter.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fred & Cindy:
I have a 1990 Regency with same trans and shifter. Mine was doing same as yours. I had to replace the small starter solenoid underneath the coach about midway down. Works everytime now.

We bought the str 85 solenoid at Napa and the diagram they are showing to wire it is different from the way our existing solenoid is currently wired. Did you have this issue? and if so which wiring configuration did you use?

Thanks for your help

Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture of our solenoid wiring, under the driver window compartment. If my pic upload works.
Sheila

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Doesn't make any difference. The two smaller lugs are 12vdc and ground. Can be wired ether way. Some only have one lug with the solenoid case being ground. The two large ones are the power conducters and can be wired either way.

Hopes this helps

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Agree with Gary Carter. I also changed this solenoid out and it made no difference with my starting problem. Your photo is a continuous running solenoid on my coach. So... On my coach the starter solenoid is midway down underneath. Not sure it is the same on your chassis.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
pic upload

See my Private Message Please.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post