Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Harmonic Balancer
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Harmonic Balancer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any type of warning before this fails & what happens when it does fail?

"If you see the harmonic balancer come up through the dash and bounce around the cab...it has failed...."

Just messin' with ya!

I had mine changed out because I was underneath the coach and could see part of the rubber sticking out of it...sometimes it does that and rubs a groove in the timing chain cover. I found a local mechanic to replace mine. He did it from the front. While he had it out, I had the radiator cleaned out. He charged me $600 in labor and I spent another $200 having the radiator cleaned..

Another way to tell about a harmonic balancer. I remember one time on a friend's 3.8 V-6 Buick, he had an odd knock start. It would knock slightly on acceleration and deceleration but no other time. With the engine off, I found I could move the belts and pulleys by hand about 1/8 of a turn. Come to find out, the rubber was gone and the harmonic balancer was turning back and forth between the stops. New balancer and the knocking stopped.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I tried to locate the HB but I didn't know what I was looking for. Do I have to remove anything to see if there is one there? I looked at the pics, wiki & previous posts. I know where it is but can't see any rubber, really I can't see anything.
Thanks
Tere

BTW - The noise we heard was not a squeal it was a higher pitched whirr. I would say about 3 octaves up from the sound of the engine.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Your HB has the timing mark on it. Your lower pulley is bolted to the center hub and the timing mark is on the outside ring.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The crankshaft belt pulley has to come off to examine the damper.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Talked to my son-in-law, aka jet pilot, professional mechanic. He is currently restoring his '69 Camaro drag racer. He replaced the harmonic balancer on his 454 while he had it out of the car and on an engine stand. Said it was very difficult. Needed pullers etc but it was just hard to get it off the crank and the new one back on. My question is, "Can this be done with the rad still in the car?". Otherwise it is a very big job, very expensive if you have to have it done by a shop, and unfortunately probably very necessary on a 27 year old 454 with 85000 miles on it.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think you should be able to do it in the vehicle. After the belts are removed the crank pulley can be unbolted from the HB. (3 bolts) The pulley is about 4 inches deep. This plus fan blade clearance should allow clearance for the puller behind the radiator. (see my 454 rear main seal/crankshaft thread for pics)

The installer is about 4 inches tall. Takes a fair amount of torque on the center bolt to pull on or off but not too bad.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I have a great airplane guy!)
I do too! Unfortunately, he's my son-in-law and has this long list of stuff to do when he's home,(50% of time flying corporate jets) including hanging out with his triplets. What we now do is get him to tell us, Tere and I, what to do in small steps. Then he inspects our work and tells up the next thing. Takes a little while but it's a lot cheaper than the alternate. The real question is whether to worry about it or not. I can see the Cummins deal is pretty important. Wonder if the 454 set up is just as important. My gut says 'yes it is'. Is your harmonic balancer puller special for the 454 or is it something the local Advance Auto would have?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you should be able to do it in the vehicle.

Initially, I'd say yes, because mine was replaced with the engine in the vehicle by taking out the radiator out through the front access door....

BUT!!!

One difference in our Regals is the floor height. The tag axle units (like mine and Steve's) sit 8 inches higher than the single axle REgals. They have an 8 inch beam on top of the P30 chassis. You see the difference on the outside by looking at where our wheel arches are. Yours cuts through the floor height and ours set below the floor height. I think mine has an extra step into the coach to get in and likewise, there is only about a 2 inch step-up to the drivers area....it almost has a flat floor front to back.... I don't know for sure, but this might make a difference on accessibility...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I have mine checked every spring. Well worth the money?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'll be putting a Fluidampr on mine this spring.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post