Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine Compartment Insulation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine Compartment Insulation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
On the way home from Michigan We noticed that the back of the coach was really warm. On second thought it was really hot!!! When we got home I decided to replace the insulation in the engine compartment. It wasn't a bad job but really messy. The old insulation was falling down and was completely deteriorated.

Picture of the old insulation falling from underneath the bed.

The walls around the engine compartment.

Bare walls and deck with the old insulation removed.

New insulation installed.

The product I used Came from McMaster-Carr. It is rigid, comes in 24" x 48" sheets, 1 1/2 inch thick and foiled backed.

Yeap, even Foretravel's need tender loving care.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
another project well done by Mr. Cagle

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I will not ask how hot the bedroom was in June in the warm Georgia sun while you worked on that ...
cheers

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking work...and hardly anyone will see your hard work.....should help with the engine noise as a bonus.... and it might be one of the least expensive repairs for the gains.....nice job...thanks for sharing... I'll look at mine and see if I need to do the same

93 breakaway 30 ft.

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Nick

Is the insulation glued on to the box as well as washers and screws?

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
I will not ask how hot the bedroom was in June in the warm Georgia sun while you worked on that ...
cheers

Whoa, what's this about being hot in the bedroom? confusion

I better pay more attention here... Big Grin

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
For Steve:
Can you imagine that if you get HOT in a bedroom that is already HOT, How HOT HOT can be??

Now for Ed:
Yes I used spray adhesive in addition to the Screws and washers. 3M 77 I have attached a picture of the adhesive and a sample of the insulation used. The washers are 3/16 fender washers and the screws are 2". Make sure not to over tighten the screws under the bed deck. They will protrude and could rip the mattress. I had the mattress off the platform and felt for any screws that might have came through the deck. Had to back a couple of them out a few turns.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
that looks like ac duct insulation,is it soft or hard? I am looking to do my dog house lid (motor box cover)

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The Ultra Barrier I used was much denser than AC duct, and foil on both sides. Also very expensive, but I got it swapping work for it. I had enough to do the inside and outside top of the doghouse, and it made a ton of noise difference. I didn't even know I had a blown mani donut till I started the engine with the cover off.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Insulation came from McMaster-Carr. Their stock number 9351K2 I also bought the foil tape stock number 76145A19. The Insulation is $28.47 per sheet. I ordered 7 sheets and 2 rolls of tape. With sales tax and shipping $294.54. What I used was VERY rigid because all the surfaces were flat. They have flexible sheets and rolls available.

Nick

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just so you guys don't think I'm goofing off…
I am doing my engine compartment with foam FatMat. It comes in 43 x 54 sheets 3/4 inch thick. Aluminum facing one side, sticky on back.

http://www.amazon.com/FatMat-H...id=1434823464&sr=1-9

The rear section of the cover had a felt material about 1/2" thick. It was coming loose but not in real bad shape. I trimmed it back from the edges and reglued to the shell with contact cement. Then I trimmed the Fatmat to rough size.

Even though the FatMat backing is really sticky I didn't expect it to stick to the felt so I brushed on contact cement. I removed the paper backing from the FatMat one section at a time and carefully placed it in position. A bit of trimming on the edges and two small seams to tape. Now I just need to replace the foam gasket along the edges.

The forward section of the cover had nothing left inside. Lots of old adhesive and staples sticking through. Also needs new foam edging. The leading edge is sagging, I will have to reinforce that edge.

to be continued: mechanic

Have Barth, will travel.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Finally got the other cover insulated. I will trim the edges and apply some soft foam edging to seal the gaps. mechanic

The two long bolts will attach through the firewall to secure the forward edge to the firewall.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I put some soft foam strips around the edges and reinstalled the covers, finally. They fit snug and seem to have a good seal. Thumbs Up

So far, they are much more quiet. I will road test for the final verdict. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A quick road test today confirms the coach is more quiet than ever before. Even the engine fan, which roars on startup until warm, was barely audible. Thumbs Up

Most of the engine noise is way down. I can hear the tires more now, also the exhaust tones…

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I regret that my FT engine compartment is looking almost as bad as Nick's did. should be selecting the product Nick used or the product Steve used or whatever and reline the engine house. The generator compartment isn't looking good either.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post