Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Centramatic Wheel Balancers
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Our 89 Regal has Centramatic Balancers on both the front and rear wheels. Tere says she feels a vibration that increases the faster she goes. I'm thinking things like harmonic balancer or drive shaft rather than tires. She feels it even when her hands are not on the steering wheel. Would appreciate thoughts on the Centramatic Balancers.

J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Jim, I have thought about getting them, so far have not!

Can you feel anything by just revving the engine in neutral. If not probably not the Harmonic. Not sure how to test the Drive shaft other than to check and see if any balance weights have fallen off or the u-joints are shot.

My guess is it is in the wheels or balancer somewhere. Check and make sure the balancer weights are free (take them off and shake them) to move as needed or take them completely off, get the wheels balanced and go for a drive.

Sorry not much help just food for thought, be curious what you find out, will influence whether I continue to lust over them.. Good luck!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I had centramatic balancers on the 32' Regency and now have them on the 40' Foretravel. I would not have a coach without them. Absolutely no problems ever with wheel balance, Replaced tires on both RV's without balancing wheels and have never felt a wheel vibration. I learned about them from Marvin who swears by them and runs them on all of his and Doris's 18 wheelers.

I guess you might say this is a positive endorsement

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had 6 Centramatics on my 86 and I have 4 on the Monarch. I have never had the wheels balanced and they have always been smooth. I would recommend them as well.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Put new tires on the back of Nose last spring, the installer said they really needed a lot of wheel weights. So I considered Centramatics but at @ $100 a crack I was a bit set back.. But may bite the bullet.

Do they make them for 16 inch wheels?? yes they do 4 for $200

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Another thought might be one of the tires is out of round, as in tread separation. We had an old Merc years ago that I thought the balancing was off but it turned out to be a "bubble".

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
They make a centramatic for the driveshaft too. I believe that is your problem. We were towed and the guy fixed our alternator and cranked the Barth without reconnecting the driveshaft. It was shaking like crazy on the test drive. He brought the driveshaft to a machine shop in Somerset KY but it was never replaced, just fixed.
Marvin says one of the ears is broke off where the u joint is.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok, found the 4 centramatic units needed for ole Nose on Ebay for $135 plus tax, free shipping, bought them!!!

Another project when the snow leaves!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good deal! You will not be disappointed. You will never have to pay for balancing and they rebalance every time you drive. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
They make a centramatic for the driveshaft too. I believe that is your problem. We were towed and the guy fixed our alternator and cranked the Barth without reconnecting the driveshaft. It was shaking like crazy on the test drive. He brought the driveshaft to a machine shop in Somerset KY but it was never replaced, just fixed.
Marvin says one of the ears is broke off where the u joint is.

This is what the chunk out of the u joint looks like

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Here are our options:
1. A company called Balance Masters makes a drive shaft balancer-same principle as Centramatic, but with a mercury filled rubber ring- and it's about $110.
2. Replace the drive shaft completely-don't know the cost. Current set up is a split drive shaft with the rear section being the one with the chunk out of the u joint.
3. Take both sections of the split drive shaft off, throw them away, install Gear Vendors that came with the coach to rear of transmission, and have a new one piece drive shaft built to go from the rear of the Gear Vendors to the differential. The one piece driveshaft would be about 72".
I'm thinking of the cheap option as a temporary fix because we're not ready financially to do the one piece/Gear Vendors thing. Of course, we could do nothing and drive it as it is. The vibration is not very bad.

J

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Have you considered getting the driveshafts cleaned and rebalanced? Two piece driveshafts are notorious for developing imbalances. Always mark the yokes and install in the same position when servicing ujoints, etc.

Inspect transmission tail bearing for play. Also check the trans yoke and center splines for wear.

Be sure the center bearing is good and well aligned. When I had the 86 I removed the driveshafts when I replaced the transmission. I replaced all the ujoints. As I replaced the shafts I was surprised to see they were not in a straight line from trans to rear end. I used a string line to adjust the position of the center bearing. It was about 1/4 inch off to one side. It was smoother after that.

The Gear Vendor/new shaft option would be ideal but pricey.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Help confirm, sounds as if you will sometime put the Gearvendors in your coach, if that chip has been around since Marvin and Lois AKA Doris owned the coach and as you say it is just a minor irritant. Save the dough for the big change!!!

Just cheap guys opinion!!!

Another possible option, come to the Michigan GTG, pre-measure and get a drive shaft made, throw that Gearvendors in the Regal, Steve lives close so any tool needed will be available, between all of us that thing will get installed. Geez I love to volunteer folks without them knowing!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
This is Tere:
re: centramatic wheel balancers

do you need to remove the weights on the wheels? Or does it matter?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Hi Tere, I just put new tires on the breakaway. I told the tire man that I wanted them balanced and that I would be using centramatics. He told me not to balance the wheels if using centramatics because the balancers will fight against the weights.
Kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post