Barthmobile Portal
Kohler Generator

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8463906797

09-27-2022, 01:47 PM
Paul And Jaime
Kohler Generator
Hello all. Been chasing gremlins for weeks now and seems I flushed out one more. I have a Kohler Generator and it starts, runs great BUT will only do so for about an hour give or take.

I noticed this issue when our electric went out and my wife and I went out to the coach because it was hot in the house. The generator will easily run both the ac units on the coach and still have power to spare. But after about an hour or so the generator will start to stumble and then die. Will not restart. Not sure how long it has to sit before it will restart but sure does start and run fine the next day. I can replicate this issue. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

I have recently done the following.
1. Fuel Filter
2. Air Filter
3. Oil Change.

Thanks for the help!
09-27-2022, 08:01 PM
Steve VW
hmm Engine needs spark, fuel and compression to run. It could be something heating up, then cooling down later.

My first guess would be loss of spark. Good chance the ignition coil is heating up and failing. (On newer models I would be suspicious of the electronic ignition module.) Next time it quits, pull a spark plug wire and connect it to a spare plug. Try starting and check for spark.

The next problem could be fuel starvation. Changing fuel filter is a good start. I have seen cases where the suction line in the fuel tank picked up water/sediment and starved the engine after a while. Fuel starvation is usually accompanied by backfires as the mixture leans out. If you still have spark when it quits, try a quick shot of starting fluid. Engine should fire and run briefly.

If fuel supply is lacking, try feeding the generator from another fuel source. (Run a hose from a gas can to the fuel pump) Our dinosaur coaches have very old fuel lines, often full of rust or sediment, you may find a problem there. Also possible a loose carburetor or intake manifold gasket.

If you have spark and fuel, that leaves only low compression. It is possible that the valves are adjusted too tight and after running and warming up they may not seat well. Again, usually accompanied by backfire, etc.

Good luck with the exorcism!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
09-28-2022, 12:25 AM
ccctimtation
I agree with Steve on the coil being the problem. They take a little time to get hot and if next to failure mode but only in pmo mode they open and take perhaps an hour to cool down and be functional. Replace it and try, cheapest and fastest test. Btdt Keep us posted.
09-28-2022, 06:34 AM
Paul And Jaime
Thanks will post results when I slay the dragon.
09-28-2022, 11:27 AM
Goodsign
Hi Paul & Jaime, I've owned a 1971 432 Gravely (14hp Kohler) for nearly 35 years "a snow plowing beast". After fifteen years of periodic use the Gravely would shut off in a manner such as your engine. Then an "Old Timer" & Cub Cadet mechanic told me to add some Marvel Mystery Oil into the gas tank and continue running the tractor. Much to my surprise the MMO increased the run time significantly and indicated to the mechanic tight or carbon coated valves. Twenty years ago I had the Kohler totally rebuilt and have continued the Marvel treatment since with no more tight valve problems.
Good Luck John
10-08-2022, 07:07 PM
Frank Stein
Here is a video that says the same as OBJ says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zekhEkxsA
10-12-2022, 02:23 PM
Paul And Jaime
Hey all been with my wife in the hospital for a few weeks ( sleeping in a crappy chair ) so I haven’t had an opportunity to work on the coach. But I am using my time wisely and making many many mental notes on what to check and all the things that I may want to modify. The video was great! Thanks !!
Jaimes story
I posted a link to her story with no expectations. It’s just easier than trying to explain her conditions. Thanks again for all the knowledge. Driving an old coach is not easy sometimes but it sure is fun.
10-13-2022, 06:16 PM
Steve VW
WOW.... confusion

We all pray for Jaime to have a speedy return to a stable condition. Wish her well from all here.

Take care and try to be well Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
10-13-2022, 08:03 PM
Paul And Jaime
Thank you !!
10-14-2022, 02:25 PM
Duane88
Wish your spouse a very full and speedy recovery!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine
02-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Paul And Jaime
Today I ordered a new coil, new points and new condenser for the generator I hope this will fix the issue.
03-06-2023, 12:38 PM
Paul And Jaime
Had one heck of a storm over the weekend power was out for two days. Generator ran flawlessly after replacing all the new parts. So that problem is solved for now. Thanks to all for the help!!