Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical Compartment Sealing
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical Compartment Sealing
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted
I've searched the history looking for discussions on how the mass/mess of wires that go through the back of the compartment (to the elements of road) are best sealed, but haven't found anything. The spaces between the wires on our 94 Breakaway are bridged by what looks like a sheet of soft, almost tar-like, material. This material, now 16 years old, has some holes. Have others got this same configuration and has anyone found a good way to reseal this area?

Regards Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I use Dicor lap sealant to seal the entry holes in my solar J box up on the roof. It has stayed completely sealed and dry for years, even driving in rain.

The non-sag requires a little management to be sure it gets in all the gaps. Frowner

The self-leveling requires a little management to be sure it doesn't sag away from all the gaps it has gotten into. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I have used expandable foam as found at Lowes or H-Depot (i.e. Tough-Stuff) to water proof and insect proof lots of holes and gaps.

Downsides are 1) very messy (must wear gloves), 2) needs painting or UV deterioration can occur, 3)once begun, must use up can (not reusable), 4)not great for small cracks or holes as it is too hard to control or force into small spaces.

Upsides 1) inexpensive, 2) readily available, 3) can be had in expandable or non, 4) can be easily trimmed after curing, 5) multiple applications can be built up to fill almost any hole, 6) excellent insulation, 7) very light-weight.

I've also found that leftover bituthene from roofing projects comes in handy for waterproofing. I wish they made that stuff in white.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I have used DAP Latex multi-purpose foam sealant from the hardware store. Cheap, water clean-up, won't over expand like urethane sealants, & is a lot softer & easier to remove after it sets up. Not for applications where much strength is required. Would probably do fine for sealing cord bundles where they penetrate walls or bulkheads.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Thanks to All for the comments. The vertical configuration will limit the allowable "drippy-ness" (for lack of a better description) of whatever is going to work.
I had been kind of wondering whether the "black sheet" stuff was used in others coaches.
The son-in-law is a body repair expert (panel-beater if your from NZ)-- will have to try his knowledge on this subject as well.
However the Barth is in Phoenix and at present, we remain trying to stay warm here.

Happy New Year All

Bud

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
What did you paint the foam with?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post