Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bio Diesel Fuel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bio Diesel Fuel
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
I have read that bio diesel fuel is not recommended for older diesels. This is all you can find in many places. Anyone know know what damage it can cause to our older diesels?

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
I was researching fuel additives on the internet and came across this independent lab in Texas that did a test on several of the additives on the market today including two cycle oil and bio-diesel. They tested for lubricty, cetane improvement and emulsifier.

They claim that all diesels are affected by the new low sulfur fuel standard the the government mandated. They also stated that the big oil companies claim they have the proper additives in place to restore the lost lubricty in the new low sulfur fuels. However most diesel owners are highly concerned about the new standards and are looking for additives to restore the lubricity.

The test results were quite interesting with the soy bio-diesel having the highest rating for lubricty and cetane, followed by opti-lube placing second and then the others. The additive I was going to use (Lucus fuel additive) was one of the worst it actually had a negative score.

They say bio-diesel fuels can be a great alternative to high sulfur fuel however they also say there's not going to be a future in bio-fuel.

One question I have is diesel fuel formulated any different at the truck stop lanes than the diesel fuel in the car lanes? I was talking to a couple truckers and they told me to make sure I fuel up with the big rigs. They claimed their fuel had the older formula with higher sulfur ratings.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Can't believe there is much economy in ordering,tanking two different types of diesel. Remember the old joke about truckers and cowboys and boots? But ya jest never know.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was talking to a couple truckers and they told me to make sure I fuel up with the big rigs. They claimed their fuel had the older formula with higher sulfur ratings.

Some do have the LSD, but most are ULSD. I use 2-cycle motor oil as an additive.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Rusty
How much 2 cycle motor oil would you add to a 100 gallon tank?

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
8 oz/30 gal.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Is it ok to overfill a 100 gallon tank
with the 2 cycle motor oil
or should it be an exact ratio?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
2-cycle oil is pretty much benign, since it's designed to be combusted. But there's no reason to overdo it. No more than a quart for a complete 100 gal fill up is plenty.

The addition is only to supplement the lube additives supposedly in ULSD.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

What 2-cycle oil do you favor? I'm sure you did some kind of study on it.

Is STP too thick? It sure does lub.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Since all trucks 2007 and newer only can use ULSD all truck diesel is ULSD (see sticker on pump). Pump at truck islands be aware they are high volume and you might be getting backsplash with a RV. Using truck stops for diesel gets you usually a blend for the summer or winter and "fresh" fuel (less contamination due storage i.e. Algae or condensation). Fuel during cooler times. Use a good additive to replace sulphur (FTTP, Howes, Power Service).
The only issue with new or Bio diesel was that the fuel pump went out, it has a cleaning action that gets seals. No problems otherwise.
A good additive also prevents algae in your tank when stored.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
Rusty,

What 2-cycle oil do you favor? I'm sure you did some kind of study on it.

Is STP too thick? It sure does lub.

Jim

STP is crap. It is/was one of the most damaging products ever marketed (Is that enough info?) It isn't formulated to be combusted.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Remember back in the 80's when engine manufacturers specifically warned AGAINST using 10W-40 oils, especially in stationary and air cooled engines? (Actually, my GM manual for the 454 in 86Barth says the same thing.)

The multi-vis oils of the day were formulated to resist thinning at higher temps. One of the additives in 10W-40 was the same as the stuff STP was made of. While it did improve viscosity and started out very slippery, the stuff degraded fairly quickly and worse yet the products of degradation were abrasive and caused accelerated wear! (Great for a quick race but terrible for long haul.)

Lubricity is related to many factors but one of the main ones is molecular chain length. The compound in STP was not "shear stable" ie the long chains broke into pieces during use. Worse yet, the chain fragments caused extra wear. (These additives were long ago retired by the oil makers, the 10W-40 caveat no longer applies)

The advertising of the day sold a bunch of this crap, touting the "racer's edge." Maybe so but it was junk for daily drivers.

Rusty can supply more details I'm sure.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Author name deleted, to protect the innocent:

quote:
Some do have the LSD

It seems like an appropriate time to link to this, again: http://roadtrip.burningman.com...ent/silverseed.html#

If you ask me, though, healthy foods are the way to be going.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
STP is crap. It is/was one of the most damaging products ever marketed (Is that enough info?) It isn't formulated to be combusted.

Rusty damaging crap is not really enough information for me. I have relied on it as an assembly lube product since I built bicycles as a teenager. I do agree that is does not burn or combust well. Is there an old topic that we have discussed oil additives (not fuel additives) or could you start a new oil additive discussion? Your point of view is well respected here.

STP is a blend of polyisobutylene and a napthenic base stock. It was one of the first viscosity index improvers (VIIs). At room temperatures, the polyisobutylene stayed coiled up and performed like a small molecule (low viscosity). At operating temps, it stretched out and preformed like a large molecule (high viscosity). The problem was that the stretched-out molecules mechanically sheared. This had two unfortunate effects. First, the oil was now at a much lower viscosity. Second, the sheared remnants tended to form hard, gritty deposits in the ring belt and valves.

STP is a very useful product for pre-coating bearings and journals before assembly.

Contemporary multi-vis oils have shear-stable VIIs, and they are recommended by most engine builders.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A 10W40 oil is an SAE 10W to which VIIs are added. The oil doesn't get more viscous as it warms up. It thins out less. So at the low qualifying temp, it's 10W; at the high qualifying temp it's equivalent to an SAE 40.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke