Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air Cleaner for Breakaway
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air Cleaner for Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
The air cleaner on the '93 Breakaway was never changed by the PO, just blown out with air. Cummins said they didn't provide the air cleaners with the engine. Some papers in the file show a "Maxicone Air Cleaner", made by Nelson Division. Can't seem to get them on Google. The thing is about 10" in dia, and maybe 18" long. Breakaway is at the shop now getting a new exhaust manifold so I can't give exact measurements. The paper element is in a sort of wire mesh canister.
thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Take the old filter to NAPA and they can match it. I did that with the Donaldson air filter on mine. Might be kinda pricey. Mind was about $75.00.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes NAPA can match it. There should be a number on the mounting face of the filter element.

I have a number for mine but IIRC the 190 HP engine had a smaller filter than the 230 HP engine.

Mine costs about $65.00

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Does your intake have a Filter Minder on it?

If not, I would recommend one. It will tell you EXACTLY when to replace the filter. Too soon is expensive and too late shortens the life of your engine (VERY expensive)

Blowing out a filter is very dicey. Different manufacturers say different pressures, etc. I would only use the technique recommended by the filter manufacturer. I prefer to hit the filter edge on a solid object and let the loose dust fall away. It is too easy to do damage with a blow gun. Too much pressure, too close to the media, and no one specifies the orifice diameter of the blow gun.

I use a washable poly wrap around my element to keep the bulk of the dust off the element.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
TruckPro and Fleet Pride should carry a filter that fits too. Cheaper than NAPA.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a washable poly wrap around my element to keep the bulk of the dust off the element.

Bill, I'm not sure I follow. Wouldn't that prevent the air from coming into the filter? This fits in a tube that has a hole in the side. The air intake is smaller, about 3" diameter, and comes in the side of the tube. The filter that is in it has been used so much that you can see the black area where the air comes in, and he would turn it occasionally but there aren't any places left to turn it to. It does have a filter minder on it but I'm not sure it works. Will check on that. Thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The "poly wrap" is a foam pre-filter blanket around the pleated filter.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My paper filter sits inside a steel mesh canister. I suppose I could but a foam wrap around the canister, but will check to see if it would fit in the big plastic pipe the whole assembly fits in.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
you don't need it, just a new pleated filter. I have not seen another Barth with the snorkel thing Dr. Yale had installed. Not only did it pick up clean, cool air from roof level, it had a whirly gig thing to separate particulates or debris from the air stream. But, he had no foam pre-filter. I think they are ill-advised.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
The "poly wrap" is a foam pre-filter blanket around the pleated filter.

Sometimes foam, too. Open cell, of course. Oiled or dry. The one I use on my Barth now is a poly batt from Baldwin. Strangely enough Baldwin called it foam.

It gets a little gray where the air comes in the snout, so I just rotate it until the whole thing is grungy. Then a quick wash in soapy water, dry in the sun and awaaaay we go. My manometer never moves.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
The air cleaner on the '93 Breakaway was never changed .... Some papers in the file show a "Maxicone Air Cleaner", made by Nelson Division. Can't seem to get them on Google. The thing is about 10" in dia, and maybe 18" long. ... The paper element is in a sort of wire mesh canister.
thanks
Jim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nelso...71253N-/113374430762

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post