Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Shark Hide
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Shark Hide
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted
Anybody here heard of or used Shark Hide Metal Protector? Sounds like it might be good for using on polished Aluminum.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Heard of it, I think it is used to cover fuel tanks to protect them from rocks etc.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what i have seen/heard it is to protect from corrosion not impact. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If you will google shark skin metal pertection there is lots of info. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, i did that, just wanted to know if anybody here had used it.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Should have googled before jumping to conclusions. Bill h seems to know the stuff, see under "HWH" (dated 12-1). Never seen it at a truck show even they always marketing a whole lot of products to shine your ride.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't have any personal experience with Shark Hide, but I've tried about a dozen or so sealants over the years. Far and away the best I've found so far is Glare:

http://glare.com/ecart/proddet...%2Dglr%2D001%3A%3A01

Awful pricey, but ya only live once, right? Smiler

Bare metal w/ continuous touch-up vs. sealing the surface is always a controversy among polishers. Two things going against sealing are:

1) ANY sealant will compromise the final luster - some more than others. If "Nice-N-Shiney" is good enough, sealing certainly reduces maintance time. But if a "Brilliant Luster" is the goal, better to leave surface raw and plan on periodic touch-ups (& the smoother the surface, the less frequent the need to touch-up).

2) Obviously, any sealant degrades with time & exposure, usually measured in months/years. Before a touch-up
restoration, it's necessary to strip all residual sealer, lest you end up with a greasy mess. Usually not a
big deal, but it does add another step to touch-up efforts.

If ya try Shark Hide, I'd be interested in your results.........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It all makes sense Lee.

I was at Roar & Soar in Lakeland, Fl this year and there was an all aluminum Cobra there polished to the hilt. What was so cool though was the way he did the traditional hood/trunk stripe, it was glass beaded so that it was quite apparent (the stripe) but still only bare aluminum. He did clear it, but it was a nice job.

Just a thought for your Barth, glass bead stripes!!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
I've always been into boats with all there varnished mahogony... The varnish after time will deteriorate but you can just touch uo those spots after it does.... If you were to clear coat it (like a Honda motorcycle) the only way to touch it up would be to strip everything back down to bare... I think clear-coat in the longrun would be even more time consuming...Just my opinion...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Wow Corey, I LIKE that idea!....Gonna have to give it some thought....Maybe some Fleetwood style whoop-dee-doo graphics Eeker

I'd imagine the attack angle of the nozzle would have to be pretty tighly controlled to achieve a consistent glass bead finish, plus lots of tape-off time to protect the edge when polishing the smooth sections, but what the heck, committed polishers don't have a life anyway head bang

Ya didn't happen to take any pics of the Cobra did ya?......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
http://www.telovation.com/photos/aluminum-cobra.jpg
Not sure how to make the photo bucket work so here it is from its web site.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom seems to have the car, or one just like it. I didn't get pictures as I was too busy gawking around.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The varnish after time will deteriorate but you can just touch uo those spots after it does.... If you were to clear coat it (like a Honda motorcycle)

Ever since they took lead out of automotive paint, almost every car on the road is clear coated over a base color coat. The new paints hold up very well, but the real question is how do you primer coat for clear only? I'll need to ask my paint guru about that one.

posted Hide Post
My paint guru says no good way to paint polished aluminum. It would need to be scuffed up which would ruin the shine. He thinks some day the clear plastic wraps could get sophisticated enough to adhere over things like rivets, but for now you must put in elbow grease to get that look. Sorry Lee, I was hoping to spare you!

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I tried to polish my bumpers... all I got was something akin to a Nickle Finish. How come? Confused

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post