Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Home made Genturi
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Home made Genturi
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted
I have been wanting to get a Genturi generator exhaust device for a while now. At a recent camp out, I got to see one up close up and could not believe how simple the device was. Camping World sells it for $134.10 plus $11.00 for shipping.

I just made one for $30.00 and could have saved $5.00 if I hadn't wanted to paint it.

I used a 1 1/4" electrical EMT elbow, an EMT coupler, a 10 foot section of 3" thin wall PVC sewer pipe, two PVC couplers, a couple of suction cups and and about 8 feet of 1/2" x 1/8" steel bar stock along with some pop rivets and a few machine screws.

I tested it for 45 minutes the other day when it was 92 degrees and really humid and it worked great.

I have a 10 KW Power Tech genny with a four cylinder Kubota diesel engine. My mechanic says that these are super long running engines, but they always smoke slightly. The Genturi deflects the exhaust straight up about a foot above the roof and I never did smell any diesel exhaust during the time I had it running. Don't like to spew the diesel exhaust around and really like the function of the Genturi.

One of the other campers at the rally said his club forbids its members from running their genny without a Genturi as the carbon monoxide could accumulate in the coach on the receiving end of the exhaust pipe and be potentially dangerous.

I'll post some pictures.

Bill G

[This message has been edited by goodwinw (edited July 21, 2005).]

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sounds really good, Bill.

I am in total agreement with your friend's club requiring them. I read of a couple that almost died from a coach that parked nest to them in the night and ran the genset. He woke up to the call of nature and had a terrible headache. He couldn't awaken his wife, but dragged her outside to revive her. The paramedics said she almost died. The offending RV disappeared very quickly. The up exhausts should be required almost anywhere RVs are near each other. They can also be a safety feature for the RV's own occupants. We have to be careful with the wind at times. I carry a length of flexible conduit to direct the fumes where they will do the least harm.

One of my future projects is a permanent stainless or aluminum generator exhaust going up alongside the ladder. My last SOB had the genset on the passenger side, so I got to annoy myself with genset noise and fumes more than I annoyed other campers. It made me very aware. I suspect if all RVs were like that, folks would be more caring of noise and fume issues.

Does your exhaust reduce the bellow of that Kubota any?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,

The Kubota is noisier than most, but bearable. I can't really say it has made it any quieter, but since the exhaust now id directed upwards, I am more inclined to run it when needed, especially in groups. Prior to haveing the genturi, I would not run it and had to manage without temporary electricity.

I must admit that I admire your independence from electricity. I am sure there are very few RV owners that can say that there coach was never plugged in to an electrical outlet. During the usable season here in New England, I'm almost always plugged in.

Here are the Genturi pictures, I hope it works.

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow. Gotta love that bendy metal artwork. Looks much classier than straight metal.

I wonder, if the exhaust elbow went farther up the large tube would it be quieter"

I think with our smaller (7.5) genset, I will use a 2 inch outer tube.

Yeah, we are fairly independent of electricity, but it is mainly a reflection of where we go. We just love nature, and end up in the boonies a lot. I had to pay a fine at the last Barth rally I attended because we parked on the outskirts instead of in the circle with the others. But, Oh, what a view we had. As far as the eye could see.

However, plugging in can have its advantages, such as air conditioning on hot nights. When it is hot, we use an evaporative cooler and an Endless Breeze for sleeping. I plan on cutting a hole in the bedroom roof for another Fantastic or TurboMaxx. That will be two air conditioners and three fans on a 30 foot coach. There will be almost no more room on the roof for more solar panels,

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, you didn't say anything about the suchion cups? Your bent and shaped mounts will aid in vibration transfer. DO I DETECT A TAD OF OVER-SPRAY ON ONE BRACKET?

Very nice, and WOW your Barth really shines, and rubber wheel covers too.
Did you get some detailed info on small to large tube spacing from Camping World literature?

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill next time park right in the middle of them and run your jenny a lot. They will probably take up a collection and pay you to move to the outskirts.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,

The space between the end of the exhaust pipe and the PVC coupler is the same as the camping world model. The idea is to draw in surrounding air (hence the play on the word venturi) to cool the exhaust (I know you know this). This keeps the PVC pipe from getting too hot and bending or melting. I would think that the 2" pipe would not let enough additional air flow and thus get much hotter. As it is mine does get quite hot to the touch, but not burning hot. Your 7.5 genny is not that much smaller and my suggestion would be to stay with the 3" pipe.

Dale,

Geeze, did you enlarge those photos and scrutinize my paint job. I guess I need to have it repainted by a pro and repost.

I used spray paint designed for plastic and it pulled away from the metal parts. This caused a need for re coating and since I didn't have enough paint to completely re coat I ended up with over spray where the new coat overlapped and ended on the first coat. At least it matches with my coach. I guess you could call it a designer Genturi.

I bent the flat stock on the upper connector to absorb vibration. I didn't want the suction cups to pull off. The suction cups are a little more than just the plain variety. they are enclosed in a mechanism that rotates and pulls the cup away from the surface to which it is attached, thereby creating a stronger suction and holding more firmly. I have a tendency to over engineer my projects. It is a byproduct of using inferior off the shelf stuff that is sold today. Even the Camping World Genturi has a hokey attachment on the mid point connection. The guy who had the one that I observed had extra bungee cords from his wipers to his mirrors to hold it in place. He said the what came with it didn't do the job.

Bill G

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Bill, the picture on the Camco site, shows a configuration rather like yours. However, the picture on CW appears to show less of a gap.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=14041&src=SRQB

You might be right about the temp. If I build a temp one, it will be CPVC, which has a melting point above 212 F. But my permanent one will be stainless or aluminum, so heat will not be an issue, anyway.

Those suction cups look nice. Got a source?

Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
bill h,

I picked up the suction cups at Lowes. I think the suction cup devices were located in the bath fixtures area. They have a rotating hook that lifts the suction cup creating a stronger suction. They were about $2.00 each. There is a clear plastic pin that holds it all together and works as a hinge pin. I pushed it out and replaced it with a 10-32 stainless bolt with a friction nut and a wing nut on top to connect the bracket. All the bar stock is stainless as well which I had laying around. I tend to be a bit of a pack-rat since I build a lot of things for myself; it is useful to have extra stuff.

By the way, only Lowes carries the 3" thin wall PVC, I checked at Home Depot (where I picked up the EMT elbow); they don't carry it.

Bill G

posted Hide Post
Bill G. I meant to tell you that your photos are very good. I thought I saw one that showed some of the paint blisters, but it is gone. Am I dreaming or what?

Really GREAT photos.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dale,

I was so hurt by your critique of my work, that I built a whole new Genturi with a better paint job. I then carefully studied the angle of the shots and the ambient light and reshot the photos and reposted them. It is important to keep the quality up on this website. I also did this very quickly so that you would not notice the change.

Bill G

posted Hide Post
Bill G. They are nice pic's, but still see the OVER-SPRAY. hehehe

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Hey Bill next time park right in the middle of them and run your jenny a lot. They will probably take up a collection and pay you to move to the outskirts.

LOL, Ed. However, my Kohler Klanker would not even be noticed with the Kubotas running. We mainly keep the genset to run the blender, so we do not run it much.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My goodness Bill, I wonder how delightful you are to live with. Oh, you are the high school principal aren't you. Well that answers some of those questions.

By the way is a Genturi anything like being metro-sexual?

Can one be a Genturi and like football too?

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill G. is MOST proud of his GRANDSON. He has been on a trip or two with Bill and his family too. Hey Bill why wasn't he in one of the picture's?

Yep, Bill's the principal, remember a few months back when Bill SNEAKED his Barth in to the school shop for the students to DETAIl???? They did good work with him and his whip in hand. Right Bill????

Dale