Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Clogged Drain Problem Solved
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Clogged Drain Problem Solved
 Login now/Join our community

posted
As it turned out I did drop the gray water tank(dirty Job) and discovered the blockage at the end of the pipe before it drained into the tank.
There were two pipes, a larger one from the shower drain and a smaller one from the sink. I had to use a long screw driver to clear out the pipe before I ran the snake from that end. Drain clear now. Thanks again for all the suggestions

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Just curious Jack, what made up the clog?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Now wasn't that fun? Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Nobel 97,
Err...mostly brown rice grains that had been dumped down the drain and clumped together.

It's a labor of love shadow man! Mostly.

I hit the stud bolts with liquid wrench a few days before I turned them.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I've grown to be older than dirt, so nearly everything that happens to someone else reminds me of something that happened to me. This reminds me of two episodes.

One of our early RV's, I no longer remember which, had a black water holding tank that occasionally refused to drain properly. It always responded to reverse pressure from a hose pushed up the drain pipe, but I eventually got tired of dealing with the mess.

I dismantled the drain, & found the plastic disc cut from the bottom of the tank when the drain was installed during manufacture, was still in bottom of the tank. It periodically drifted over the drain opening, & prevented the tank from draining. Chalk one up for typical RV quality control. (I found a few examples of that on the Barth, too). Disc removed, drain reassembled, problem solved.

Another episode involved an ancient boat we owned. The pump mechanism on the toilet failed, & no replacement was available for the long obsolete toilet. A nearly-new appearing toilet removed from another boat, was lying a little further down the float. I dismantled it & found the mechanism plugged by cherry pits. It had obviously been replaced by someone with more money than I, & a greater reluctance to get their hands dirty.

A little elbow grease & a repair kit from the local marine supply store, & we had a new, modern toilet. Chalk up one for the frugal boatman.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brandman:
mostly brown rice grains that had been dumped down the drain and clumped together.

Coffee grounds can do that, too. That is why we use a burr grinder to make our coffee Turkish- style. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill H. I have since purchased a two dollar strainer for the kitchen sink to help prevent any future mishaps of this nature.
Olroy: Chalk another for the frugal "Barthman".
Thank the stars there is a valuable resource such as this forum to help us tackle repairs that could cost a kings ransom in labor. Thanks for your comments as always fellow Barth owners.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brandman:
I have since purchased a two dollar strainer for the kitchen sink to help prevent any future mishaps of this nature.
Does it look like this one?

We are total believers in this type of strainer, and will use no other in an RV. They require a little more frequent emptying, but they really pay off in lack of clogs.

I think the place that sells them here in Quartzsite is still open, so I can buy and send one to any contributing member free for the asking.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,
Actually mine is the standard stopper/strainer in most sinks. This one is plastic and it seems to be doing the job fairly well. Considering I was using nothing before.
How much is the one you have mentioned?

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis