Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regency Suspension Restoration
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regency Suspension Restoration
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of chrisW
posted
I just finished up a little restoration work on the Barth's front suspension. (see "just been Barthed" for rig history!")
The Idler arm was siezed - a 5 lb sledge would get it to move about 1/4" a whack.
The original tie rods were very stiff / siezed. Oddly enough the ball joints were fine, but they were replaced anyway.
New schocks should be here any day and then I can finish her up and enjoy the ride.

BTW - I am replacing the engine oil pan gasket too...

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, how much were the ball joints?
My son just bought a 99 Dodge P/U with the Cummins diesel and the ball joints were over $200 each. I was shocked --- I remember ball joints for cars costing $20-40 each --- a few years back.
Man, I hope mine last a while longer. I bet this job set you back $2k or more.
Any slack in your steering sector? Mine has just enough to be aggrevating.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
About $150 per ball joint and $43 per tie rod end (eight of them!)
I'll let you know about the play in the box when I get it back on the road. The idler arm was soo tight that you couldn't tell what he casue of hte play was. A rebuilt box is only $600...!
The main casue of problems in mine was lack of use - the previous owner put 200 miles on it in the last 6 years...

1985 Regency 35'

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Front brakes appear to be hydraulic disc brakes, not air brakes. Was this standard on the MCC chassis? The Regencies on Gillig or Spartan chassis are air.
Just wondering and trying to learn. Confused
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
On our 82 Regency it's air over Hydraulic.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle: The Regencies on Gillig or Spartan chassis are air.
Nick

My Breakaway (Spartan Chassis) is air over hydraulic with disc brakes at all four corners.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle: The Regencies on Gillig or Spartan chassis are air.
Nick
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
My Breakaway (Spartan Chassis) is air over hydraulic with disc brakes at all four corners.
Ed, I think Nick is struck by the fact that it is a Regency with juice brakes. I believe, because of the data tag project, he was under the impression that all Regency had full air brakes.

I would love to see this type of detailed photo of the rear suspension in an MCC Regency.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
I would love to see this type of detailed photo of the rear suspension in an MCC Regency.

Thats next on the list! As soon as the shocks show up I will complete the front and move to the back.
Yes, its an Air/Hydraulic system. Not very big rotors...Frowner
As soon as these wear I will convert the rears to larger rotors/calipers. The conversion kit to go from 13.125" rotors to 14.75" costs $1500 (includes calipers, rotors, pads and adapters). The no brainer part is that the stock replacement rotors are $700 each....so for an extra $100 you get much biger brakes and new calipers and pads!

1985 Regency 35'

Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
The rear suspension is really different, I could have won a bet with the local RV mechanic - he didn't belive me when I said it had independent rear supension, he was sure it had to have a live axle.
Independent trailing arm torsion bar suspension - remakably similar to the design on a Porsche.
Hmmm... rear engined turbocharged with a trailing arm suspension...sounds remarkably similar to an early 911 turbo..Wink

1985 Regency 35'

Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Chris:

Where do you get this conversion kit. I need to replace the brakes on the back of our bus and I would just as soon go that way than with the stock brakes.
Can you also tell me about the shocks you are using.

I have taken the rear end out of our bus to replace the two stub shafts that I damage getting the bus stuck in the sand.

It was easy. disconnect the axels and remove 4 bolts and its on the ground.

Looks like a corvette under there.

ED.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
How about Regencies on a Spartan Chassis? Full air drum brakes or Air over hydraulic disc brakes? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Confused
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deb&Eds35:
Chris:

Where do you get this conversion kit. I need to replace the brakes on the back of our bus and I would just as soon go that way than with the stock brakes.
Can you also tell me about the shocks you are using.

ED.

http://www.motorcoachrestoration.com/bridge.asp?Pagenum...TATIVE%20MAINTENANCE
Motor Coach Restoration - great resource. Leslie offers two different brake upgrade kits. I also went with his set of shocks, Leslie has been working on these things forever, I will trust him on the shock selection! They arrived last night and I will install them tonight.

1985 Regency 35'

Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris

I have bought alot of stuff off Less. Wasn't sure if you had another supplier. I will contact him about my rear brakes.

He supplied all the parts to repair my front end and I bought those shaft's and bearing kits off him to repair my rear end.

ED.

ED.

Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of the finished front suspension -

and some one wnated to see the rear (independent) suspension

All done and ready to put the wheels on and go for a ride!

1985 Regency 35'

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for supplying the pictures. You're doing real nice work on your coach.

I hope you keep us updated with additional photos of your progress. The rear suspension seems just like a corvette's rear. Very unique to an RV. With the independent rear suspension, No wonder these things rode like a car.

Keep up the good work!!!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post