Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    TV Removal
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TV Removal
 Login now/Join our community

posted
The original 1984 TV has to go. The padded upholstry has a couple of "buttons" on the top section that appears to hold the TV in place. Before I start knashing and bashing, can anyone offer advise on the TV removal process?

TIA

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
On my '85 the buttons are just screw covers. You can use a flat blade screwdriver to pry them up around the edge of the button. Then just remove screws on the upolstered board and old TV slides right out. It would be helpful to have someone else up front to hold TV while you can remove cable hookup and power cord. What kind of TV are you replacing it with? I haven't changed mine yet. Good Luck, Ed

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't decided what to replace with. Probably going with a TV/VCR combo of some sort. The original MW is also out for measuring the available space. Planning on a MW/conv combo there.

My antenna raise/lower gear if kaput so I have to address that sometime down the road.
Hate to toss any of this 1984 vintage stuff. TV, CB and MW, but don't have storage space to keep it.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my crank up antenna also. It was leaking. I bought mine through Campers Choice (a little cheaper than Camping World).
Ed

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We replaced our TV and if you want to do it with out major construction on the cabinetry then you must find a TV that will fit in there. We studied this for quite a while and the only TV we could find was the Sony KV-13M10 In this picture you can see why. The speaker is on the side. So when you install it, get a hole saw and cut a hole in front of the speaker and you can buy a little cool looking grill from Radio Shake. The good thing about this TV is it has AV hookups in the front and back. Now what I did was remove the door on the cabinet just to the right of the TV. There I put the inverter, (I couldn't find a 12vdc TV that fit) DVD player and satelite box, (I haven't hooked up the satelite yet, I bought one which the stand to sit on the ground). I hope this helps. This TV has been discontinued but you can find it on Ebay and elsewhere.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. Just so it has a remote controller. :-)

posted Hide Post
Dooohhh! This opening is only 12" wide! Looks like my cabinetry skills will be put to the test. I did manage to shoehorn a 20" wide MW into a 24" wide space earlier. :-)

1st month member
posted Hide Post
Another option is mounting a LCD or flat screen in front of the opening. Sharp makes a pretty good TV. I figured that I could put a 17" (maybe a 20" would fit with some changes to the doors on both sides)hung from the ceiling or on a fabricated bracket coming out of the bottom of the opening. The doors on both side could be made of smoked plastic.

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I got the Ol' Digital Camera going and thought I would show you all what we did.

New 13 inch Sony TV and speaker grill

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is waay-kewel Dave. You know that this will prompt me to ask about the trimwork and attachment. :-)

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I had all the work done at Lakeland Coach here in Burnsville, MN. Once all of the original trim was removed they were able to get this Sony TV to just fit. They made the visible trim separatly. The tv is held in place by some other metal and wood brackets that you don't see. Bruce at Lakeland said that the secret is to hold the TV tight enough so that not even the tiniest of movement is possible.

------------------

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I was dreaming again of a LCD flat screen TV and looked at CNET.com for some options. I wanted a little bigger set- 15"-20". TV's in this range are $800>, but monitors are pretty reasonable $300>. I found that Viewsonic makes a TV tuner for all monitors for $92 or $129 for HD TV and all the DVDs, VCRs, plug right in. This includes a remote. This TV tuner could easily fit in the storage area next to the set with a smoked plexiglass door so that the remote will work. Also, the mounting problem looks like it might be solved with an Omnimount Cantilever LCD TV mount $129 from Circuit City (made of aluminum and stainless). I think this makes it cheap enough for even me to invest and it will be HD TV compatible for the future. Anybody else with these ideas? Ed

------------------

posted Hide Post
Soultion in progress: 13" RCA. With the side panels cut back to gain 13.5" opening it is a tight fit. (The existing 11" TV is no longer made. It's gotta be a 9" or a 13" according to the consultant). So, with salvaged trim upholstry, I hope to have a decent looking installation tonight. The new set will "protrude" about 2" farther into the cabin, but shouldn't be a problem.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I have been researching and found that BestBuy has the Samsung 150MP for $399. This is a 15" flat screen LCD monitor with TV tuner & speakers built in. It also has Picture in Picture and can be used as computer monitor(its original purpose). This set has a great picture and eliminates any cabinet work. You can easily make a homemade bracket with aluminum bent across your knee and drill a few holes.

posted Hide Post
Eddie, I opted out for the simplest (cheapest) way to solve the viewing problem. RCA, BestBuy, $89......

BTW: I looked at the flat screen option. They had a 10" that would have fit without mods.......$685.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by ron (edited December 15, 2002).]