Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A/C condensor fan
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A/C condensor fan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted
Sorry, this is long.

One thing about my 'rig' is that it's dash a/c is inadequate due to poor design.

It has the condensor mounted on the rear engine compartment doors. Except that the condensor may be undersized, that part is ok.

But due to issues with clearance to internal members, a low profile low capacity fan was installed that covers only about half the condensor. There is no radiator fan to assist. As a result I have low dash cooling output. (I have had the coolant pressures/level checked and it is perfect).

The problem, the cause for their inadequate work around, is clearance for the correctly sized fan and shroud. The real fix would be to relocate the coil, add a high volume (read large) fan. But that could get expensive, at $150-200 + for fan, 100's for labor, and possibly a bunch of new xpensive hoses because relocating existing hoses, bending old hoses into unaccoustomed contortions, could mean leaks and replacement of hoses at $100's.

Bottom line, expensive job.

I want to solicit opinions from a cosmetic angle for an inexpensive and adequate solution, thus:

I have located a radiator dual fan unit at a junk yard in a proper square frame that I would propose to mount on the outside of my back door. This would cover the entire condensor, provide radiator-style volume, and probably solve my problem. And it would only cost $75 for the fan and a few bucks of hardware store items to mount it. Condensor and hoses would remain exactly in their current position.

The only issue with this approach is appearance. The left door of the dual vented doors on the rear would have a black frame with two electric fans mounted on the outside. I really do not think this would be much a detriment in appearance, as it would look professionally installed (no bailing wire). Also, it would be removeable to restore to original appearance if sold, or for winter travel. Also a possibility is to paint to match.

Comments requested, the motre the merrier.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
classicautoair.com has a line of auto a/c products for after-market & custom installations, including several varieties of auxiliary condensor fans. I'm sure anything they have would be pricier than your DIY w/junkyard components approach. That sounds like something I would do, & if it solves the problem & your installation is sanitary, hang the aesthetics. Just don't drive too close to anything on that side.

Barths are great, but not everything on them has been perfectly engineered & manufactured.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My observation is that while the condenser's none too big, the limitation is actually the evaporator - it's just not big enough for the job.

I'm going to make a curtain that'll go across the coach from the front of the bathroom wall to the rear of the sofa. That'll cut 50% of the cabin volume. I also run (when it's hot)with blackout curtains of vinyl I made for star parties, but they do a good job of containing the heat from the windows that I can't see out of when driving.

The upper windshield and side windows are going to get heat-reflective film.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I'm going to make a curtain that'll go across the coach from the front of the bathroom wall to the rear of the sofa. That'll cut 50% of the cabin volume. I also run (when it's hot)with blackout curtains of vinyl I made for star parties, but they do a good job of containing the heat from the windows that I can't see out of when driving.

The upper windshield and side windows are going to get heat-reflective film.

We do the curtain thing. Helps a lot. We use bubble foil window insulation. Works well in heat and cold.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My previous SOB had a greenhouse for a driver's compartment. It had a clear vinyl curtain on tracks that closed off the front. Did a great job for cooling & heating the living spaces.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post