Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    valve for switching gas tanks
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

valve for switching gas tanks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Bill H., "second nature".........it got to the point that with one hic-up I could automatically reach up with my right foot and flick the L shaped rod to reserve. Sometimes not so automatically was forgetting to return from reserve after a fill-up.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/10
Picture of Mike and Mary
posted Hide Post
The critical thing to remember with the good ol' VW reserve tank system was to reset the lever to the main tank (from the reserve position) when you refilled the tank. Not doing so was a tough learning lesson - you eventually found out that this "minor" oversight left you with no "reserve" fuel in the tank. head bang

Posts: 13 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 11-22-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I never made that mistake.

Not even once.

No Siree.

Never.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it. Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
DENY LONG AND STRONGLY ENOUGH AND SOON PEOPLE WILL BELIEVE YOU.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I have other pictures but can't figure out how to send more than one.

(Bill NY) Here you go Tere, I got it for you. (Bill NY)

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
OK, J&T's pictures look like the six port picture I posted earlier. At least we know that Barth did use such a valve. At least once, since we know that (the Mantra) All Barths are Different. Smiler

That is a Niehoff UN54, pictured below.

If you can't find one locally, by number or picture, you can order it from:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/Pr...E&MfrPartNumber=UN54

I have a friend in West Melbourne, and will give him a call today and ask him for possible sources.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I have other pictures but can't figure out how to send more than one.
Tere

Really great pictures.

Um........I don't see a ground there. Does it work OK?

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
OK, J&T's pictures look like the six port picture I have a friend in West Melbourne, and will give him a call today and ask him for possible sources.

He recommended Carquest (formerly Central) auto parts on Wickham Rd S. There is another Carquest "close to the causeway", he says that might have it, too. If you take your old one in, they can probably match it up or convert the Neihoff number, if yours looks like the picture.

UPDATE: The Niehoff number converts to Carquest 54-1700.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
There is a ground connection. Red wire, 1st two pics. Is that what you are talking about? Or is that a hot wire.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
In an electrical circuit you need a minimum of 2 wires. One is a ground and another is a hot wire.

By looking at your photo, I do not see where the screw or bolt is, to ground the case out. That would make a ground. Does that valve mount at the top? Maybe this is where that is grounded out.

It does look like it's plastic, so maybe not.

I think I see a bolt thread in this photo, but looking at the photo, it appears to be off the frame... I think I can see different color rust where it looks like it used to be mounted to the frame.

Looks like you're going to need attention with this.
quote:
We called the manufacturer and were told that they no longer made our valve.
You might not need a valve... maybe you just need to clean it up and mount it back to the frame to get a good ground connection.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a ground connection. Red wire, 1st two pics. Is that what you are talking about? Or is that a hot wire.
Tere

I only have personal experience with the 3 port valve, which looks just like yours, but without the smaller return ports. On those valves, the single stud terminal is the hot wire. When it is energized, the solenoid shifts a plunger, and fuel comes from one tank. When it is not, a spring moves the plunger the other way, and fuel comes from the other tank.

The ground is provided by one or both of the mounting bolts, which I do not see in your picture. A good clean connection where the mount flange bolts against the frame rail usually provides the ground to complete the circuit.

I would bet a pitcher of Susan's margaritas that yours is the same.

Is your tank selector working OK?

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Um........I don't see a ground there. Does it work OK?

If you look closely-below the bolt hole that doesn't have a bolt in it is a bolt. That one bolt holds the unit in place.

When we broke down coming home from the DC get together we discovered that the red wire is a hot wire & the one bolt that is holding the unit on the chassis is the ground. The sending unit is secure as a rock with the one bolt. It looks loose but I could hang from it full weight & it wouldn't fall off.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B