Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    valve for switching gas tanks
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

valve for switching gas tanks
 Login now/Join our community

posted
need help , the valve for switching gas tank's is no good . 78 chevy chassis 454 27' 79 Barth were do I find one , or what else can I do ?

Posts: 3 | Location: fla. melbourne | Member Since: 08-07-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
most GM trucks of the same year with dual tanks will have same valve, Check Car Quest, Auto Zone Ect, Mine has two valves but my last one was a 1978 and it had one which was the same as my 1979 one ton truck. Hope this helps.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 298 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Does it look like this?

Are you sure it is no good?

Does it clunk when the tank is switched back and forth?

Does it have a good ground?

What does an ohm meter say when connected from the terminal to ground (with the power lead removed)?

Does it illuminate a test light on the wire when the tank is switched back and forth? It is best to remove the wire when doing this test.

Does a wire directly from the battery to the terminal make it clunk?

If the control circuit is OK, the plunger in the valve could be stuck. Try rapping the metal part sharply while the tanks are switched.
If the coil is not open and the rapping does not help, a little carburetor cleaner in each port might free things up. These things can freeze when sitting.

At work, I used to use a spiffy detector that showed if a relay or solenoid was energized or not, but I never found a relay or solenoid that didn't speak Braille.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mine has six ports and one male prong for wire hook up ,the shop that's doing the work said they can work with the 3 port but must have one male prong.

Posts: 3 | Location: fla. melbourne | Member Since: 08-07-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Does it look like this?

Napa Part: CRB 22198
Product Line: Echlin Fuel System

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wes:
mine has six ports and one male prong for wire hook up

Does it look like this?

Jim and Tere have a six port valve, but they did not respond to my request to post a picture (in April of last year). PM them, and maybe they will post a picture that will help.

quote:
the shop that's doing the work said they can work with the 3 port but must have one male prong.

The one prong thing tells me that it is a solenoid-operated valve, rather than a motor-operated valve, which has more connections.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
what else can I do ?

1. If you can't find what you want, a wye for the fuel and a wye for the returns will work. Filling completely full will be a little tedious, and both tanks will be used together.

2. Another, perhaps more palatable way would be to use a three port valve for the supply, and another one for the returns.

3. A third way would be to use a three port valve for the supply and a wye for the returns. That would mean that the return fuel would not all go into the tank whence it came, but that is of little consequence.

4. Yet another way would be to install a manual valve with the handle shaft entering the cockpit within reach of the driver. That is the most reliable.

The fuel quantity indications would still be accurate in all of these scenaria.

5. The NAPA 22198 valve that Bill N.Y. posted or a Delco U7001 could be made to work with a little rewiring and the right connector. I believe it is motor operated and also contains switchover terminals for the tank quantity sending units. If it's what I think it is, you would need a DPDT switch to reverse the rotation of the motor to change tanks. If you used a 3PDT or 3/4 of a 4PDT switch, you could keep the sending unit wiring up in the dash where Barth already has it. You would just have to run one additional wire from the switch to the motor. The switch would alternate the polarity of the two wires, depending on which tank you selected.

What fun!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our "77 has two three port switches, one set I believe controls the fuel from the tanks to the fuel pump and one directs the fuel return from the pump to the appropriate tank (or at least that is how it is supposed to work). I had been told by one of our local parts suppliers that the fuel solenoid switches were obsolete, so am interested to know, is the three port switch a NAPA item?

Regards Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
FWIW. Once, in an earlier life, I installed a second fuel tank in a Chevy pickup. The hardware & plumbing to provide automatic switching was complicated & expensive. It was simple & cheap to plumb the second tank into the main, & install an electric fuel pump to refill the main from the secondary. No multiport valves, no multiple electrical connections. When the fuel gauge dropped, I'd switch the pump on until the gauge went back up. Cheap & effective, though it took a moment of thought, & the effort to flip the switch on & off. I never forgot, though if I had, the dying engine would have reminded me.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bud@YXY:
is the three port switch a NAPA item?

Regards Bud

Yup.

http://www.napaonline.com/Mast...or+Valve+-+Universal

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Bill H. Your description of a manual fuel valve brought back memories of my very first "brand new" car...........'55 VW, no fuel gauge just a lever sticking thru the "fire wall" to switch to the reserve. Those were the days my friend.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Segundo, I'll have Tere send a pic Sorry when she gets home from her 4 day vacation with her girl friends in the mountains. My days of crawling under the coach are pretty much over. We called the manufacturer and were told that they no longer made our valve.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The photo Bill H . posted of the Jim & Tere have looks like it .The other one with 3 ports with one male prong could work . Were can I find one . Like to get new but now looking for used .

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Were can I find one .

Three or six port? Off the top of my head, three port NAPA, six port Checker, Schucks or Kragen. Others, too, perhaps.

quote:
Looking for used.

Those valves do not like to sit. They are a "use it or lose it" deal, so used is taking a chance.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
Bill H. Your description of a manual fuel valve brought back memories of my very first "brand new" car...........'55 VW, no fuel gauge just a lever sticking thru the "fire wall" to switch to the reserve. Those were the days my friend.

As a motorcyclist, a manual reserve was second nature to me. Smiler

A trip odometer would have helped, though. I had a cardboard one.