Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    8.2 Detroit Diesel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.2 Detroit Diesel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted
I have read here and elsewhere that the 8.2 Detroit Diesel is a "throwaway" motor due to the lack of availability of proper tools to set up the injector timing and the govenor, and that if you have major work done on one (like a rebuild) it is likely to fail in a short time... I just saw this toolset on Craigslist and wonder if this is the set that is so hard to find... Does anybody here know? Bill N.Y.?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/1636764864.html

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
I believe the ‘throw away’ comment stems from the fact that it is not a sleeve/liner design engine. A lot of commercial diesel engines have replaceable cylinders that allow for a much easier way to ‘refresh’ a worn cylinder. The 8.2 is more like a typical gas engine – the cylinders are an integral part of the block. To ‘refresh’ an 8.2 you have to remove it from the vehicle and bore the cylinders out to the next oversize.

I plan on throwing away my 8.2 in about 200k miles…..!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You are correct, the main reason it is considered a throw away is because of the sleeveless design. We talked about this in the chat room last night and how this engine shares certain fuel injection characteristics with the earlier Detroit Diesel 53/71/92 series engines.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The Cat 3208 is also a sleeveless design however it can be bored and a sleeves installed and then it will be back to OEM specifications. Many commercial owners do this because basically the Cat is a reliable engine and produces up to 333 hp, more then enough for our Barths'. I wonder if the Detroit can also be sleeved?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Almost any engine can be bored and sleeved unless it is a very thin wall casting.

They even sleeved Vega engines, replaced the cast iron pistons with aluminum and made a pretty good engine.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post