Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air Bags
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air Bags
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Did all Barths use air bag cushioning in the suspension system?

Posts: 23 | Location: Tujunga, CA | Member Since: 03-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The GM P30 series motor home chassis used air bags inside the front spring coils. The single rear axle used leaf springs, although many of us have added air lift or firestone air bags for leveling or trimming. P30 series chassis with a tag axle had air bags as the only spring on the tag axle.

Those with experience on other chassis will hopefully contribute as to others.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
My 1973 P30 does not have air bags in the front suspension and given the rust in this area have not for quite some time, if ever. Now the coach is old enough I do not know all the history and in reading it appears the "Super Springs" (check camping world site) "do not require" bags so take my observations for what they are worth, limited.

I guess, no I am sure, I will add air bags when I add bags to the back. The front bags appear to sell for something in the seventy dollar range, the back bags are in the two fifty range, a bit more if you want fancy pumps for side to side adjustments and the like and I do.

It rides well as it is but I have added a motorcycle rack to the back and with the scooter on the back it lifts the front an inch or so.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have no airbags at all.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm the only airbag in my stable... Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
If you want a gasser that comes with factory air bags, you got to get a Chebby.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Den and Lisa
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what part number may be on the airbags for the tag on our '87 Regal?

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville TN | Member Since: 09-07-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The tag axle is a Neway TA-5. We have some info on the smaller TA-3 but much is the same.

The original air bag number (1R9-025?)was out of production. I used Goodyear 1R9-038 bags on mine, fit perfectly.

http://www.stengelbros.net/1R9...r-Spring_p_5826.html

Just deflate the bag, remove one bolt on bottom and 2 bolts on top. Easy to replace. mechanic

The bags are rated for 50 psi max, I find that 30 psi rides the best. Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Den and Lisa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
The tag axle is a Neway TA-5. We have some info on the smaller TA-3 but much is the same.

The original air bag number (1R9-025?)was out of production. I used Goodyear 1R9-038 bags on mine, fit perfectly.

http://www.stengelbros.net/1R9...r-Spring_p_5826.html

Just deflate the bag, remove one bolt on bottom and 2 bolts on top. Easy to replace. mechanic

The bags are rated for 50 psi max, I find that 30 psi rides the best. Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will travel Tooling Along

Thank you Steve! Dennis

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville TN | Member Since: 09-07-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
I have airbags up front (that don't use the onboard air compressor just have valve stems on the front bumper) so I'm assuming I have some in the rear as well. Haven't explore that far yet. Smiler

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
From our Forums: Ads, Documentation, Brochures/Schematics >> Barthmobile Attachments For Downloading
quote:

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Den and Lisa
posted Hide Post
When not moving, do you all leave a small amount of air in your airbags on the tag axles? Got our new bags on this week. Just want to make sure we do the right thing for them.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I believe yours are the same as mine. (Goodyear 1R9-038) They should never be run flat for fear of bottoming out and pinching the bag. Max pressure calls for 50 psi, minumum 10 psi.

My coach rides level and handles best around 30-35 psi.

OTH the tag bags can be deflated to help level/lower the coach when parked, but I would still stay above 10 psi min. Just remember to fill em before you drive away.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Den and Lisa
posted Hide Post
Didn't know if 5-10psi would be better for them to keep their form rather than squashed together when deflated.