Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear View Camera
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear View Camera
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted
My back-up video system has bit the dust and I am considering replacing the camera with a Garmin GC3 unit which wirelessly couples to Garmin NUVI GPS devices which I already have. The camera is pricey compared to some of the Chinese units on eBay but if this system works it seems to be the way for me to go.

Has anyone used this set-up? Please let me know your experiences with it both good and bad.

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Beware that the all-metal Barth may not be wireless-friendly. It blocks every other kind of signal we try to get in there. Contact RV Cams in Baton Rouge, they have cameras and adapter cables to use your existing wire. Very knowledgeable folks.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 375 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Billy.
I had thought of that and found that the design of the camera/transmitter is that the camera is mounted outside and a cable connects it to a transmitter that is inside the coach. I was thinking of using the existing cables to power the system from a switch in the front. Otherwise you can connect the B+ to the back-up light circuit for automatic operation. I think I can locate the transmitter so it will have a line-of-sight path to the NUVI which will be about 30' and they say it is good for 45'.

I'll investigate your other alternatives and then make a decision.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Don,
If the transmitter is inside then I would agree with you, it should be fine.
Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 375 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Billy.

If I decide to get this unit I will post pics and results of the experiment.

Regards

Don

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
If you want to, you can use the factory wiring. Mine works well with the original wiring. I have a new camera and monitor.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
If the monitor still works you can just replace the camera. I bought a $29 security camera from Kmart and installed it on the 86. I just spliced power, ground and video coax wires, works great and really cheap. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Steve,

The monitor comes on but no picture. So, I'm not sure which component is bad. For $30 I should buy a camera and use it for a test device, I suppose. It could be a broken wire from the front to the back but I doubt that.

Thanks for the input.

Don

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you hook up the B+ to the backup lights you will only get a picture when in reverse. I want to see what is back there when traveling. And backup is misnnormer as it is really a rear view monitor.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Gary,

That's the way I have always had mine hooked up too. I like to see if the TOAD is still there and inline. HA!

I think I will power the camera with a toggle switch on the dash then I can switch it on and off at will. If I go with the Garmin Nuvi set-up the Nuvi changes to camera mode when the camera is active. Otherwise it is in GPS navigation mode. I kind of like the idea of a dual purpose monitor.

Don

Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Here is an update to the rear view camera project on our Breakaway. I did, indeed, install a Garmin BC30 camera. I found that somewhere along the way the original camera wiring was broken and there was no continuity from the dash to the rear where the camera was mounted. As many have said this is a project from hell and I gave up on using the original wiring for power to the new unit. So, I mounted the camera about mid-way in the outside rear of the coach and ran the wire into the inside. I powered the unit from the compartment light circuit and mounted the transmitter on the engine compartment ceiling above the battery. The wireless system works real well and the color picture on the Garmin Nuvi 2699 is good.
I like to use the camera for backing as well as when traveling to check on the dingy so the switchable mode is just right for me. Also the compartment lights do not show outside so that will work also. It sure would have been nice to have a spare wire up to the old camera site that I could have powered the camera with. I have a spare switch that used to activate a now-gone alarm system that I wanted to use for the camera but without wiring to the area it was not going to work.
Now I have to come up with something to cover the old camera mounting spot. Maybe a small roadrunner plaque.