Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bathroom lights go off and on.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bathroom lights go off and on.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
I have this problem with my bathroom lights -- when first turned on all is fine and then after about five minutes they start to go off and on cycling about every 30 seconds.

I have replaced the toggle switch and traced the wiring as much as possible without breaking into the wall. I can't see any easy way to get the light fixture down. It's implanted behind some of the nice cabinet work and if I start prizing things with a crowbar, something is going to get messed up. This problem seems like a bad connection somewhere that heats up and cools down causing the off/on scenario.

Has anyone else had this problem or know a good way to get to the fixture without damaging the woodwork?? My fixture has 5 12v bulbs that have the bayonet type fitting --- like the old car bulbs for your tailight.

Thanks for any help,

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a resetable circuit breaker to me. They trip on overload then cool off and reset and then overheat and cool off and overheat etc

One of two things. Bad circuit breaker of to much current draw.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Strong:
I have this problem with my bathroom lights -- when first turned on all is fine and then after about five minutes they start to go off and on cycling about every 30 seconds.

I'm with Gary on the resetting auto CB. I see you say "lights" and "they", indicating plural.

Can you isolate it to one light?

Can you pull out the bulbs one by one and isolate a bulb that might be drawing too much current?

What does a voltmeter do with all the bulbs out?

What numbers are the bulbs? It is possible that none of them are the guilty party, but all of them together could be too much for the breaker. Going to lower current light bulbs could make a difference.

Can you measure the current draw? What does an ammeter tell you with all the bulbs in? What does an ammeter tell you with all the bulbs out? Put it in series at the switch.

FWIW mine had a fluorescent two-tube fixture and an incandescent light built into the ceiling fan. They were on a fused light circuit.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I have reduced the number of bulbs from 5 to 3 and it did make a difference in the initial time that they would stay on but I have not tried a voltmeter yet. Good idea.

Where would this 'resettable fuse' be located? I tried under the bed and nothing fits that discription or is isolated to the bathroom lights.

Thanks,

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I am thinking that if they are cycling on and off that they don't have a large enough supply of dark to suck. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
This sounds like a bad connection (High Resistance)in the circuit. If memory serves the CB's are non-resetting per RVIA code. The reason it takes longer with less bulbs, but still fails, tells me that it is a resistance issue. Drop the fixture and check the splice connecting the fixture to the Barth harness. With the lamps on, a bad connection will get warm, bad ones discolor. The key is not to throw parts at it until you isolate a bad one.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.