Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Low Air Pressure Alarm (Won't shut off)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Low Air Pressure Alarm (Won't shut off)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
Suddenly, the low air pressure alarm on my 94 Regency with the 300 HP Cummins will not stay off after pressure has reached normal levels in both tanks (according to the dash gauges). After the coach has been sitting and air pressure has bled off, the beeping alarm comes on at the start of the engine and shuts off for a minute or two as pressure starts building. But it now comes back on and stays on even after pressure has peaked at about 80-90 psi. When driving, the alarm comes and goes as if there might be a loose connection --- but where do I look? Also, the audible alarm seems to be linked to a red warning light on the dash labeled "Low Air/ Tank 1" which comes and goes with the audible alarm. There is a space for a red warning light for Tank 2 that must be burned out. Could the burned out light be causing the problem? I don't remember if the burn out is recent or not.

On the front firewall above the generator, there is a manifold with two wires labeled "Air 1 & 2" attached to pressure sensors but with the alarm beeping --- the removal of the these wires causes no change even if I ground them.

Help, Help!!!!

My preparation for the summer season keeps getting complicated by new problems. This year it seems like every time I start it --- something new quits working. I guess this is typical for old Barths --- they force more bonding!!!???

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Frustrated

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you say "peaked at about 80-90 psi"? My understanding is that your 'peak' should be around 120. My audible alarm comes on if the air drops to somewhere in the 60-75 psi range. Don't recall exactly.

Sounds like the alarm itself isn't the problem. Sounds more like the cutoff limit for the governor isn't correct, or you have some sort of major leak.

The Florida CDL book (other states have similar references) gives a pretty good writeup for air systems. http://www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com/handbooks/cdl/en/5/1 is a pretty good reference.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"even after pressure has peaked at about 80-90 psi. When driving, the alarm comes and..."
Yeah; my Spartan 325 Cummins peaks, and stays, 110-115 psi; when pumping up, the alarm ceases just before the red lights (tanks 1 & 2) go off, between 70 & 80 psi. Perhaps the red light is a function of the (low) pressure, since it comes and goes with pressure. I believe Relative is correct: the problem is not in the alarm itself. Note: my Parking/Emergency brake won't release below 75 psi, so I figure 70-80 psi is when they will automatically apply.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Not only does your air pressure seem low, but I have also had problems with my pressure alarm coming on due to a poor electrical connection. It caused the alarm to see the pressure as lower than it was and kept the alarm on. It was the result of a faulty soleniod that powered much of the dash electricity.

Bill G

Bill & Georgene Goodwin
92 (Feb.) Regency 36ft
300hp Cummins
Gillig Chassis (1990 build date)
2014 Honda CRV toad
10Kw Power Tech Gen w/ Kubota diesel engine
Can accomodate Barth visitor with advance notice

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What chassis do you have?

Mike

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
I suspect that Bill G is on the right tract for me also but that electrical panel under the driver's side window is a real challenge.

My unit has the Spartan MM chassis and I was wrong about the peak air pressure. I was trying to recall from memory and at my age, that's risky. The peak air pressure is about 110 psi for both the front and rear tanks. Everything seems normal except that the audible alarm will not turn off. I also just checked the light bulbs in the red warning lights and they are all OK. Something is not sending the right signals.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Frank, 80-90 is NOT PEAK!!!

Your governor is either set too low or is failing. The correct psi peak is between 110 and 125.

That being said, the most likely place to install a low air psi switch is on the gov itself. These are usually one wire and they ground out to complete the circuit and turn on your light and buzzer.

Look around the air compressor for the gov. If you see any wires going to the compressor then that is your low psi switch.

Now, lets face the fact that your engine is mounted in the rear. Why would someone run a wire all the way back to the engine for a dash light on the front? They just do, but that doesn't mean that yours IS mounted back there, it's just were they normally put it.

If no wires are found back there then trace out the air psi gauge airlines - these lines will usually be run to an air manifold. You will find the switch located on a manifold or junction. Do not mistake the brake light switch for the low psi switch - if you disconnect the wire and the light/buzzer is still working then you are probably on the brake light switch.

A lack of air applies these switches, any restriction/kinks in the line will cause a lower reading.

This switch is mounted in the psi side - bleed off all air before removing - start up coach with the switch out to make sure air is going thru the line. Shut off to install.

This should go without saying, but still I feel compelled to say it: Just make sure you're not removing an oil psi idiot light sender switch before you start up the coach! Eeker

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post