Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Left rear turn signal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Left rear turn signal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
HELP!!! I'm going nuts.

Hazard, brake and turn all use the same filament in the 1157 bulb.

Hazard works fine.
Brake lights work fine (almost).
Right turn works fine.
Left works not at all.
Front turn signals work correctly.
xc
What is suppose to happen and does on the right side is the turn works and if you push on the brake it turns the brake light off and uses the filament for the turn signal. Left brake remains lit if pedal depressed.

If I signal a left turn the front turns work but the rear does nothing. If I push the brake pedal the left side brake light lites.

In summary all works as designed except rear turn light.

HELP!!!!

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I suggest checking the turn signal switch function and the relays in the back panel.

It sounds like what I was chasing in the VW. The turn signal switch had been badly buggered: frayed and broken wires, gobs of solder. I had to rebuild it in the process of connecting tow lights.

It seems that when in the center position, the turn signal switch connects the left and right lights together so brake switch can light both.

When the switch is set for L or R turn, they feed each rear light through separate contacts.

I had problems when I tried to connect the tow lights to the rear bulbs. Either side signal fired both tail lights due to the internal contacts in the turn signal. I had to install an isolation diode in both wires from the switch to prevent back feed. In your case you seem to have lost the cross feed?

Perhaps the switch is dirty or something has come loose.

If you have the Spartan back panel with relays, there are separate relays for Left, Right, and running lights. Check for power into and through the relays for each function.

Just don't let too much smoke out of those wires! nono

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No relays. The wiring to the light must be right because of the hazard flashing and brake lights.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
just for the heck of it, use a magnifying glass and look real close at the bulb filaments. I have seen them break on one end and fall over another filament. turn the power to it and all kinds of things can happen.
kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I would be looking at the turn signal lever contacts. The front and rear run off different contact with the brake lights tied into the rear contacts. My Chevy troubleshooting says if hazards work and turn signal dose not replace turn signal switch.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
This is one reason why I have a number of wires with alligator clips. I would take one of the short wires, put the side of he bulb on a battery terminal then touch each contact with the clip connected to the other terminal, or try a different bulb.
Betcha the bulb is bad.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bulb is good. Keep in mind that the brake light and hazard flashers use the same filament.

I'm starting to think the turn signal switch is bad. If I am not mistaken I believe there may be two sets of contacts in the switch, one for the front and another for the rear (actually 4 - R&L). I did take the switch apart once, but will do it again tomorrow.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance