Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    How often should I move the Barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How often should I move the Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
During the winter, is it necessary to move the Barth so the tires don't stay in the same spot?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
IMHO, it is a good idea to exercise any RV for a dozen miles, or so, every month. It's not just good for the tires. Warming the engine thoroughly drives out condensation, & running all the mechanicals keeps seals from drying out, keeps gears & bearings bathed in oil, reduces the amount of rust that accumulates on brake rotors & drums, etc.

I know people who park their RVs in the Fall & let them sit. Nearly all of them have a tale of woe the first time they take it out in the Spring. From the time I started the monthly exercise program I never had that problem. Of course, if you park in a weather tight insulated garage, you'll have fewer problems. Nevertheless, almost all mechanical devices prefer regular use to sitting idle for long periods.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
So I should open up the door to the storage building and drive the Barth through 3 feet of snow down the steep driveway and out on to the salt covered roads? Smiler

Some of us don’t have the luxury of exercising their rigs….If I could I would!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I will agree with Roy on the monthly drive, but up the ante to 20 miles.

However, if you can't do that, then jacking the coach to prevent sidewall deformation is good. If you don't want to jack, then increasing the inflation will help.

An engine should never be run without getting it up to operating temp for a while.

I had a teacher, a retired engineer from Wright Aeronautical Engines, who said 90% of engine wear occurs during cold starts. That is because the oil has run down from the bearings, cam followers, valve stems, piston skirts, etc. A number of our engines at work needed to be cranked until oil pressure indicated before they would light off.

Even if you obviate that condition by such measures as a pre-oiler, block heater or cranking until oil pressure indicates, the engine needs to warm up and stay warm long enough to cook off the evil stuff that a cold start puts in the oil.

The rich mixture from the choke in a gasser also washes valuable oil from the cylinder walls and piston wear surfaces.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
So I should open up the door to the storage building and drive the Barth through 3 feet of snow down the steep driveway and out on to the salt covered roads? Smiler
Welcome to my world too. Oh wait... You live in NY. ... Nevermind. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
Some of us don’t have the luxury of exercising their rigs….If I could I would!
You got a storage building? Lucky you... Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
If you will park the coach on pieces of 2" x 8" or wider lumber you can avoid flat spotting. Concrete and asphalt will create the flat spots. Running the engine until it completely heats up (and the generator with a load) will take care of the condensation. When you park for the winter grease every fitting, spray oil (not WD-40) on all bushings, seals and hose clamps and you should be able to fire it up without any problems. A trickle charger will handle the batteries for you but check them monthly.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
You got a storage building? Lucky you... Big Grin
It’s a funny Barth story actually!
I always wanted to get an RV to tow the car to the track but I refused to even look at one until the building was done. Winters are pretty nasty around here and I could not stand getting an RV and seeing it sitting outside in snow drifts. I am a bit fanatic about taking care of stuff I own.

A week after the concrete floor was poured (building already done) I got a call from a friend telling me I should really go look at this RV that was for sale near his house – way out in the woods on a barely traveled road. He thought it was a Bart or something like that. At that point I had never heard of a Barth…I did some research and it started to sound like a real find…went to look at it (10 miles from my house!) and bought it on the spot. It needed some TLC mechanically but other than that it was in great shape.

It did have to sit outside for a couple of weeks as the concrete cured…I did not like it when it rains on my New Barth…!

The storage building is attached to my work shop – and it was filled pretty quickly…40 x 60 is not as big as it sounded once you put a 35’ RV in it!

1985 Regency 35'

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I repectfully disagree with the concept of running the engine stationary to warm up. Diesels should be allowed to idle cold only long engough for all cylinders to fire (and getting the air pumped up), then loaded right away.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Diesels should be allowed to idle cold only long engough for all cylinders to fire (and getting the air pumped up), then loaded right away.

...yet big rigs set in rest stops idling for hours, wasting fuel and pumpimng smut into the atmosphere. somebody should clue these guys

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
It's kind of hard to push start one of those when the battery goes dead... Wink

1985 Regency 35'

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
quote:
Diesels should be allowed to idle cold only long engough for all cylinders to fire (and getting the air pumped up), then loaded right away.

...yet big rigs set in rest stops idling for hours, wasting fuel and pumpimng smut into the atmosphere. somebody should clue these guys

Those are warm idles, and while not ideal, much less stress on the engine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I guess stinkpot fans have an answer for everything.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Had a great day Saturday so we fired up the Barth and went on a 20 mile ride to see Bill G. All systems were 'go'.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post