Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil pressure sender on a Regal Chevy 454
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil pressure sender on a Regal Chevy 454
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
So while I have the dash apart waiting for a new chip for the Chrysler cluster in ours I was looking into fixing the spiked oil pressure gauge thinking there would be an issue on the circuit board but it looks fine. A PO had put on an aftermarket gauge for the pressure so I would assume they would have at least tried a sender but it got me thinking that maybe it takes a Chryler sender not a Chevy (since the cluster is out of a 86 Laser). Where would the sender be located on a 454 and has anybody with a chrylser digital dash replaced it? If so what part number might you have used successfully?

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
The sender is on drivers side,bottom ,front of 454 engine .
Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob, any idea what is out of? I'm assuming a Chrysler Laser one wire which on Rock Auto says for light and Digital Dash. Figure it is worth $10 to see if it is the issue or not but I would have thought someone would have checked it before putting a mechanical gauge in.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You could check the sender resistance. If you see the resistance change after startup sender is prob working. Might be just a bad connection

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Okay so I found it today. Seems that is where they attached the aftermarket gauge. So there appears to be 3 wires coming down from the harness to it. 2 are attached to it and the other is just hanging out with no where to attach it. I figured I would at least unplug the connector and see if the gauge was still pegged as I would assume it wouldn't be if the wires aren't connect. It is still pegged. Any ideas?

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
They may have removed an OEM sender to install the aftermarket gauge. There are often two senders. One is the two wire switch that goes to: engine light (early years) and/or to the fuel pump (later), the other is a single wire sender that goes to the gauge.

I replaced my sender a while back but I can't seem to find what number it was. Usually I have kept good parts records. Next time I visit the coach I will try to find out which one I used.

With ignition on and someone watching the gauge, try briefly grounding the single wire, see if the gauge moves. If it does the wiring is good for sure, you just need a new sender.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yup, did a bit more exploring. The 2 wires goes to the choke on mine so the light didn't go out when I had it running a bit. I did ground the wire and start it up. She stays right at the L so I am thinking that someone just wanted more accurate gauge. Funny thing is it isn't located where you can see it easily so I rarely look down at it. I'm also assuming by looking at the wiring connector (spade with a rubber boot) that it would take a GM style sender not a Chrysler Laser one (as they have a threaded connector). Will get one this weekend and see what it does. Need to get some engine degreaser as it is filthy up there. After this the next step is to replace the cassette and 10 disc changer with a bluetooth/sd card in dash cd player. Cleaning things up!

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used a GM style with spade lug. I think it was used with OEM 0-80 psi gauge. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the difference is I don't have a chevy gauge, I have a chrysler digital gauge as I guess Barth got 'em cheap and wanted to go space age. Picked one up tonight but it seems rather large to fit in there.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is how mine used to look. (New engine now)

2 wire switch and big round sender in a brass tee.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Well the one I got doesn't fit. The threads are bigger then the threads on my tee (I'm guessing it is standard vs metric as they are darn close in diameter but I can't find my caliper at the moment, plus it says 60 on it so I'm assuming that would be 60psi which is all I can seem to find that say.

Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
When i replaced my oil pressure sender , i just ask for a sender that fits 1985 454 chevy engine . Same as the one that came out . Bob

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Well I replaced the elbow with one that fits the sender and drumroll. The gauge works BUT here is the rub, it doesn't seem to be very accurate. At a cold start it would sit in the low side of things rarely moves beyond it when giving gas to the engine. Haven't driven it but anybody else with the Chrysler gauge on here that can tell me where theirs runs? With the mechanical gauge it was always 20psi or so at idle and would go up to maybe 40-50psi at 3000 rpm.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Souds about right with the mechanical gauge. My 454 had 20-30 at idle and 50+ running. Sounds like your magic gauge uses a different sender. Anyone else have the same panel?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
I also have the same gauge as Steve. (GM) The sender is the same as in the picture Steve posted above .
At idle about 30 psi . Raise rpm to about 1500 & psi goes up to about 60 . Bob