Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ignition Switch Removal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ignition Switch Removal
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My switch is acting up these days. Either you have to turn it 4 or 5 times for it to catch or sometimes, when you turn it off, the engine stays on. So I'm assuming it's a readily available GM/Chevy switch and if I take out all the flatheaded wood screws the dash will lift out and I can pop a new switch in there..... is it that simple or are there going to be some suprises for me?
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
If it is a Chevy P-30, there should be a locking ring on the rear face of the ignition switch.

Make sure it is tight, because a loose one will allow the switch to move with the key, and not permit it to move through the spring gate and engage the starter.

It is an easy fix.

If you can get your hand on the back of the switch, you might be able to do it without taking off the dash.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
On my 84 P30, it is a little different:

It is held in to the dash with a chrome cup with three grooves for a removal tool. The cup unscrews. But before you can remove the switch, the ignition cylinder must be removed. This is accomplished by turning the key to the accessory position and inserting a HEAVY paper clip in the little hole by the key slot. The clip is depressed and held against the spring and the key is turned CCW past the ACC position to release and remove the lock cylinder. Then, the chrome cup can be unscrewed to remove the switch inself. Long nosed pliers usually work to unscrew the cup. Or you can make a removal tool out of a piece of 1 3/4 OD tubing. If not, grip the rim with regular pliers. You can make protectors out of copper cut from flattened water pipe to avoid damaging the chrome.

When you have it out, practice putting it together and make marks to help get it positioned correctly and to ease assembly. The big slot inside the switch goes at the 9 o'clock position.

NAPA pn KS6603

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited August 05, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
If you want the ignition lock cylinder that matches KS6603, it is NAPA part KS6491.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Quinn, Here are a couple of pictures of what I purchased at Tractor Supply.

I think it was around ten bucks. Nothing really high tech. On off Start.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
I had no-start, and went with the NAPA KS6603 (switch) and KS6491 (cylinder) combo. Worked like a charm, easy to remove/install, especially with the paper clip (more like heavy wire) tip from bill h above.

I'll kinda miss the ability to remove the key while the rv is running when I need to unlock a storage bin. ROTFLMAO

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Quinn, if you noticed in the first picture, the only key on the ring is the ignition key. Dangling other keys while bouncing down the highway is why many ignition switches fail. Put the basement key on another ring and hang the basement key by the doorway.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post