Barthmobile Portal
Ignition Switch Removal

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8011078061

07-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Touring Bee
Ignition Switch Removal
My switch is acting up these days. Either you have to turn it 4 or 5 times for it to catch or sometimes, when you turn it off, the engine stays on. So I'm assuming it's a readily available GM/Chevy switch and if I take out all the flatheaded wood screws the dash will lift out and I can pop a new switch in there..... is it that simple or are there going to be some suprises for me?
Cheers, John
07-24-2004, 04:58 AM
Windsor Dalrymple
If it is a Chevy P-30, there should be a locking ring on the rear face of the ignition switch.

Make sure it is tight, because a loose one will allow the switch to move with the key, and not permit it to move through the spring gate and engage the starter.

It is an easy fix.

If you can get your hand on the back of the switch, you might be able to do it without taking off the dash.
08-05-2004, 04:12 PM
bill h
On my 84 P30, it is a little different:

It is held in to the dash with a chrome cup with three grooves for a removal tool. The cup unscrews. But before you can remove the switch, the ignition cylinder must be removed. This is accomplished by turning the key to the accessory position and inserting a HEAVY paper clip in the little hole by the key slot. The clip is depressed and held against the spring and the key is turned CCW past the ACC position to release and remove the lock cylinder. Then, the chrome cup can be unscrewed to remove the switch inself. Long nosed pliers usually work to unscrew the cup. Or you can make a removal tool out of a piece of 1 3/4 OD tubing. If not, grip the rim with regular pliers. You can make protectors out of copper cut from flattened water pipe to avoid damaging the chrome.

When you have it out, practice putting it together and make marks to help get it positioned correctly and to ease assembly. The big slot inside the switch goes at the 9 o'clock position.

NAPA pn KS6603

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited August 05, 2004).]
09-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Quinn
If you want the ignition lock cylinder that matches KS6603, it is NAPA part KS6491.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B
09-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Kevin
Quinn, Here are a couple of pictures of what I purchased at Tractor Supply.

I think it was around ten bucks. Nothing really high tech. On off Start.
09-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Quinn
I had no-start, and went with the NAPA KS6603 (switch) and KS6491 (cylinder) combo. Worked like a charm, easy to remove/install, especially with the paper clip (more like heavy wire) tip from bill h above.

I'll kinda miss the ability to remove the key while the rv is running when I need to unlock a storage bin. ROTFLMAO

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B
09-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Kevin
Quinn, if you noticed in the first picture, the only key on the ring is the ignition key. Dangling other keys while bouncing down the highway is why many ignition switches fail. Put the basement key on another ring and hang the basement key by the doorway.